Overkill?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bronksy, Nov 14, 2013.

1. bronksy macrumors 6502

bronksy

I am looking to get a 13" rMPB..
    has to be the 13" because of the size.

I'm a pro photographer and also do some video but mainly will be used for editing images in the field. With video I won't be doing much - but could be simple edits in prep for work on my main mac at base.

I can get from stock at the Apple stores, the 2.8i7/512SSD and 8gb Ram - but I am wondering how much I'll miss out on the extra memory of 16Gb.

If i add the memory I have to do a BTO and besides a few weeks wait - It's a PITA if I need to exchange it. Picking up in the store is way easier.

Will 16 be overkill in the 13" - would it even be used? I'm wondering why they're not offering the top spec model in store with the 1tb SSD (which I don't need but would buy for convenience) 16Gb RAM and the 2.8i7.

So it's almost what I want but I am wondering on if I should be resolute about the 16Gb RAM - or just walk into the store and buy one.

2. lg251 macrumors 6502

There's about 20 threads on this already. Do a quick search on 8 vs 16g. (Y)

3. bronksy thread starter macrumors 6502

bronksy

I did - but I am interested in why the Apple store are selling the bumped processor but not bumping anything else.. and there's a month wait for the upper configs - so I assume there's some sort of RAM shortage?

4. chrysek macrumors newbie

I started to look into the same thing and apple pises me off, looks like you cant upgrade lated to RAM nor a STORAGE< also battery is glued, so I think we have to make our decisions wise for the purchase, I dont seel my apple products so I will be using it for forever and thats why I think I need to get the 16gb ram and possibly 1tb storage for the future use. :( sucks, but what can you do... I was thinking of 15inch vs 13 but I think size is the key for me, 15inch seems to big, and I dont like that keyboard, looks so tiny on the 15inch even though its exactly the same as on every other model :) but 15inch seems to big for me. I have imac 27inch at home, actualy two of them so all the photography and video work I will be doing on them, this one is for quick work or when I travel, my photo equipment is so heavy already that weight and size does play a major role. :(

5. bronksy thread starter macrumors 6502

bronksy

Same situation - but I'm impatient!

Me too - my main machine is the iMac - so this is for those times where I need to sit on a plane or train and do some work for a press deadline. I found the Air chugged along a little when I used it - but did run aperture ok.. struggled a little with Final Cut but I expected this.

So it's one to keep in my camera bag and make some edits - or output a slideshow for an event I'm working at so they can show some images onto a screen - the Air took about 40mins to export a 12 min slideshow.. way too long!

6. bronksy thread starter macrumors 6502

bronksy

search is disabled

Also!

7. Alexjones macrumors 6502

The Apple store in my area has the 15in 2.3/16/ 256 $2,599 model in the store for immediate pickup. I would check with your store. They might just have what you are looking for in stock

8. bronksy thread starter macrumors 6502

bronksy

Yes- but I want the 13" and I'm also in the UK :)

9. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Wow... I just checked the apple web store, 3-4 weeks to ship if you bump the memory config to 16GB... ! To be honest, I just bought the 2013 model so I could get the 16GB (had a lat 2012 model). The memory is just that important, IMHO. If you aren't getting the 16GB in the 13", then buy a traded in 2012 model and save a bunch of money, or go with a 15", or wait the 3-4 weeks...

10. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

Well, to be honest I don't really get why you're choosing the i7. The performance is better but the price difference doesn't justify it over the base one.
    I'd rather get the 16GB version, and probably 256GB SSD. There are nice, slim external hard disks for sale which you could get for a lot less.

11. bronksy thread starter macrumors 6502

bronksy

I actually have been told that the i7 has a lot better performance at the cache level as well as multi-threading (don't know what that means)

For any 16gb version it's a long wait. 512 is the min I need for my photo and video work. I have an external 1tb disk but it's about portability. I carry 20Kg of kit.. I don't want to take more than I have to.

The retail stores dont sell the 16gb version - it's only BTO.

I have a friend who works for Apple and I gets me a nice discount - so it's easier to buy in store with him there. Hence the swinging towards a ready made off the shelf model.

12. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

I don't know that as well, but you'd better go to AnandTech to check it out (specially when they release the review).
    Will also check that out when buying, thanks for the advice!

13. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

If you look at geekbench results at http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks you will see that the 2.8 GHz i7 benchmarks at about 4-6% faster than the 2.6 GHz i5. The only differences between the two processors are the .2 GHz clock speed, and the fact that the i7 has 4 MB of L3 cache, vs. the 3 MB of L3 cache for the i5s.

Both CPUs are otherwise identical: 2 cores, HyperThreading enabled for 2 threads per core, etc.

I had the same dilemma, and decided since I was ordering a BTO model with 16 GB of RAM already, to also go for the i7 processor. It didn't get me much performance, but since I ran my last laptop for over 6 years, and I hope to do the same with this one, it might help me do so.

14. Breedlove macrumors regular

I got the i7/8/512 last night.

Performs great. :D

****** luck with screen and bottom case creaking.
    Bringing it back tonight for a replacement.
    :(

15. empireofpassion macrumors newbie

Is this correct? There is no HyperThreading on i5 I believe.

16. Breedlove macrumors regular

There is hyper threading.
    Specifically listed on Intel's website for each of the i5 processors available for the 13" (i5 - 4558U and i5 - 4588U)

17. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Yes there definitely is HyperThreading on the Dual Core 2.4 and 2.6 i5 processors used in the 13" rMBP. The Quad core processors are different.

Here are the specifications of the three 13" Haswell options, straight from Intel:
    http://ark.intel.com/compare/75992,75991,75990