Overkill

wonderister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
I have been thinking of getting a 13" MacBook Pro Retina Late-2013 for a few weeks now. My current setup is that I have a 15" rMBP 2014 on the desk and an 11" MBA 2012 for carrying around. I find the MBA a little slow now and lacking. I wanted to be able to do more; thus, looking at a 13" rMBP.

Is the setup an overkill?

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Not at all an overkill. if you are finding the 11" MBA 2012 lacking, upgrading it makes sense. The 13' Macbook Pro Late 2013 is obviously going to be a cheaper option than a new MBA, so it seems a logical upgrade path.

Reactions: wonderister

wonderister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Not at all an overkill. if you are finding the 11" MBA 2012 lacking, upgrading it makes sense. The 13' Macbook Pro Late 2013 is obviously going to be a cheaper option than a new MBA, so it seems a logical upgrade path.
Thanks! I wanted to see other's point of view. My MBA will probably be OK for typical email and productivity stuff, but looking to code more when I am away from my desk.
[doublepost=1551315989][/doublepost]
I’m confused. You have a laptop on your desk but want another one “for carrying around”?

Is the one on the desk glued down or something?

It is not hahaha. It feels to big to just lug around and open on a whim when I am not on my desk.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks! I wanted to see other's point of view. My MBA will probably be OK for typical email and productivity stuff, but looking to code more when I am away from my desk.
[doublepost=1551315989][/doublepost]

It is not hahaha. It feels to big to just lug around and open on a whim when I am not on my desk.
I do sort of the same. I have the MacBook Pro I use for some stuff and a Surface Pro that is a "go to" lugging around device as well as the iMac as a desktop. But you know, I have various lengths and sizes of screwdrivers too. Different tools for different jobs :)

Reactions: wonderister

Stephen.R

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I get what you are saying. I don't use either of mine on the desk. My wife sort of has hers anchored to the desk, but she does take it to an occasional meeting for a presentation and likes to take it out on the deck at night.
I think it's the unique position of saying "I have this laptop.. that never moves, and then I want a different laptop to take with me".

I used a 2011 MBP17 as my sole computer for years, and for the last 3 or 4 of those it's basically never moved off my desk for anything but repairs or cleaning. When I finally replaced it last year, I bought a base model MBP15 and then added a BTO Mac mini. I understand having multiple computers, I even understand having a desktop and a laptop. I just don't understand "I have this laptop and that other laptop.. what laptop should I get that's between them in age to 'carry around'" - particularly when the 'new' machine to get, is 6 years old, has no warranty, likely no parts available even to repair at your own cost etc.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I just don't understand "I have this laptop and that other laptop.. what laptop should I get that's between them in age to 'carry around'" - particularly when the 'new' machine to get, is 6 years old, has no warranty, likely no parts available even to repair at your own cost etc.
I have 6 laptops within my arms reach when I'm at the desk. Three of them powered up, the rest on a bookshelf - but charged and ready to go. I totally understand a need to have a small one to carry around the house, the one that won't be missed after being dropped from the kitchen table, jumped on by the kids or left in the rain on the backyard bench.

My wife has easily over 100 pairs of shoes, while I own more laptops than pairs of shoes. And somehow I'm the weirdo in the house.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Why don't you get a nice DESKTOP Mac for your desk, and pick one of the laptops as a "carry-around"?

A 27" 5k iMac with an SSD inside would "hit that spot"...

wonderister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
I was thinking about that, but maybe when funds are better. To be honest, my folks are advising me against it since I already have something to use. They explain that I can use the money for something else since I already have a computer. Trying to talk myself out of wanting one, but I feel like still getting it.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
I was thinking about that, but maybe when funds are better. To be honest, my folks are advising me against it since I already have something to use. They explain that I can use the money for something else since I already have a computer. Trying to talk myself out of wanting one, but I feel like still getting it.
I have a 13" MBP and a giant-ass iPhone XR. Then I impulse-bought a 12.9 iPad Pro that was on clearance late last year. Stupidest decision ever. It overlaps with my Mac so much I feel like a moron for buying it.

Reactions: G5isAlive