Overlapping talkers in the office.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by soco, Sep 27, 2012.

1. soco macrumors 68030

soco

So I've run into a problem with a certain group of people lately. They're what I can only refer to as overlapping talkers.

How do you deal with this? You're patiently waiting your turn in a group discussion to give your two cents, or an anecdote, and you start speaking. 4 words into talking one of these characters chimes in like you weren't even talking.

It's maddening. It's not just to me either, otherwise I'd chalk it up to them just not liking me lol But they do it to everyone!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They sound annoying. Don't hang out with them. ;)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The lack of replies suggests no one here are your coworkers and/or we don't want to hurt your feelings by not letting you get a word in edgewise.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

^^
    Same here. I have a crew of my employees where that's all they do, to each other no less! I just retreat back to my office and continue to work view MacRumors.

Maybe that's why I love Internet forums so much; no one over talking me. ;)

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Uuuugghh...I have always hated this. One of my biggest pet peeves.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I hate it when people do that, though I always thought it was normal growing up as my father does it, even when just talking himself. It's really quite maddening and I do my best to avoid talking to people who do it, or if I do just call them out on it if they're particularly bad.

8. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

That's what I usually did, but it's kind of ridiculous too. Given that they have some other more sympathetic features that keep you staying, I for myself started to work a bit on my own way of talking. More brief and certain (?) somehow -but that always depends on the constellation.

Businesswise I wouldn't go to my office like the General but tell them nicely to shut the **** up. (Except there isn't an important discussion at MR of course :eek:)

9. Roller macrumors 68020

The OP didn't say whether these were casual, social conversations or business related discussions, formal or informal. For the former, when someone interrupts you, either walk away or, if you want to push it, interrupt them after they cut you off. On the other hand, if you're not getting your say during business meetings, talk to your supervisor or whomever else is running the meeting and let them know how you feel about it (unless they're the one interrupting you.)

I often run meetings at work and always try to make sure that everyone is heard.

10. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

...what? :confused:

I think I should try this. Not in a mean way, of course, but just toss in a, "Haha, whoa, please, I wasn't talking." in a silly tone of voice. This definitely only works with certain types who can appreciate and take the humor, but this crowd definitely can.

Really good point. These are informal conversations. Usually in the kitchen about PRSI lol We discussed romance novels the other day and this happened. Clearly not "important" conversations.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It was a joke. Perhaps the lack of a sense of humor makes people in your office talk over you. ;)

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I consider it their loss. When I have an opportunity I'll give them my $.02 or chit chat, but people are so anxious to speak - I'll be more then happy to keep my mouth shut

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

then when these people start talking over you, loudly say "hey, let me finish! I'm talking now, wait your turn!"

14. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

My boss is perfect at this. I can be two sentences in and he comes in and changes the subject completely. One of these days I'm going to push back and say "I'm banging your wife" and see if he hears me.

15. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Situations like that I usually put up my hand and usually in a pretty stern tone say "excuse me I'm talking." They usually shut up and wait. :p