Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Can anyone help me on how to overlay html over a Flash object?

I've found loads of samples online, but they're all one-line suggestions, not complete pages; and when I try to integrate them they don't appear correctly (HTML blocks out Flash completely, or vice versa, or else they appear side-by-side). I think it's a problem with my divs (I'm more of a C/Obj-C/C++ developer than HTML/CSS/Javascript). :eek:

If anyone has (or knows of) a simple, working page that does this, I'd really appreciate it!

p.s. I have added the wmode = transparent suggestion (both using the swfobject, and in the html tags - twice - but that doesn't seem to be the issue).

Last edited by a moderator:

manueld

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
really depends on what you're trying to overlay on top of the flash. Is there content in the flash or is it just pure aesthetics?

absolutely positioning the flash in relations to the content should be all you really need to do and putting the content in a higher z index with the wmode=transparent on the flash.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Set z index of your html object in css. By the way, you might want to try it out with flash blockers. HTML over flash sounds doubly annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.