Overly sensitive screen, multiple key presses making it impossible to type anything

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JayBloke, May 2, 2008.

1. JayBloke macrumors newbie

Hi, I am a bit of a new user so please bear with me. I have had the iPod Touch for 2 days and have become very frustrated with the touch screen. I am finding the navigation very hit and miss because the controls don't seem to work properly.

It is most noticable when typing. If I try and type anything then no matter how I try and touch keys, the wrong ones seem to get "pressed". The Touch will also register multiple keystrokes that aren't the key I want. For example, trying to type the letter K or M will result in "jbgj.com.com" or somthing similar getting typed.

Likewise when using Safari the screen will just bounce around rather than click the link I want, or it'll randomly zoom in and jump around.

Navigation on the whole thing is fairly hit and miss. Sometimes it stops on the movie or album I have selected. But it's just as likely to keep scrolling passed and bounce around.

I am assuming this isn't normal! Any suggestions? Is there anyway to calibrate the screen? Thanks.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Yes. Return it for a new one. Apple is great about these things.

3. Drucifer macrumors regular

I saw someone post this exact same issue on the actual Apple boards awhile ago. It was recommended that they return it for an exchange.

4. JayBloke thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

I was a bit worried about sending it to Apple since I bought it in the US and am back home in the UK now! I bit the bullet and took it into the nearest Apple store - Milton Keynes.

Have to admit I was expecting to have to pay for a repair because I got it in the US. The Genius instore took a look and said the fault was definately the hardware and asked if I wanted it replaced. I then owned up and showed him the Vegas receipt, to which he replied it didn't matter - it's a global warranty!

He said the only difference between the US and the UK models is that the US models are louder! If I wanted a louder one I'd need to take it back to the US, but that's not an issue for me. I left the store 10mins later with a replacement that works fine.

I am very impressed by the level of service. It's my first Apple purchase and it definately won't be my last (when the iPhone 2 comes out :D )