Overnight: Mac Became incredibly slow and Wont Restart

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by presplay, May 29, 2009.

1. presplay macrumors newbie

I have my macbook (2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM Mac OS X 10.5.7) set to auto restart in the morning. This morning when i went to check it out it didn't restart due to one of my applications running. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem but still...
    There are several problems right now... I'm going to try and explain them all because i really want to get this solved
    1) I haven't been able to restart or shut down my computer the "soft" way, it usually works but today I've had to hold down the power button for a hard shut down every time i want to restart. When i click shut down or restart it drops all the windows like its going to shut down but then it just stays at the point where my desktop is up
    2) For some reason firefox wasn't loading when i clicked the application button, but safari would. I'm not sure if any other programs were affected but i re-downloaded firefox and it works again.
    3) The computer it self is unbelievably slow, simple processes like copying files takes much longer, time machine stays at the "preparing" stage forever. Sometimes when i try to copy files to my external it works fine, but other times it says that parts of the files are missing and it can't copy them.

One of the solutions i read was to create another account, i did and it seems to be working at a normal speed but i still cannot shut down. I don't have the boot CD and would really prefer to keep my regular user account than the new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am going to assume you have Leopard with all of the latest updates

You can try the usual...

Repair permissions
    Verify/repair the disk
    Zap the Pram

But your best bet may be an archive and install of the system, but for that you will need the install disks

You can get the restore disk replacements for your machine from Apple

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. presplay thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I've tried all of those solutions, save the reinstalling, that is my backup plan if i can't figure it out tonight