Overnight Power Outage = one machine that won't power- ideas?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jkaz, Jan 12, 2009.

1. jkaz macrumors 6502

Hi,

It appears my office had an overnight power outage, all machines in my office appear to be essentially unaffected except for one- a rugged, battered P3 windows box I use for internet radio. Either I have forgotten how the power button works on it, or it won't power up.

I tried all the various power supply tweaks before it reaches the machine, but I have not done anything inside the machine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Try a different power cord. If that doesn't work, try the power cord on another computer, if that doesn't work, then the issue is with the power cord. If the other power cord doesn't help the computer the issue is with the computer.

3. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your response.

I tried a different power cord and different wall sockets known to currently be power other devices.

No luck.

Thanks!

4. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

5. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got the casing off now, I was hoping to find some sort of manual power reset button, haven't found one.

My next thought is that the 'battery' inside needs to be replaced, but i'm not sure if this will do the trick.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Power outages are usually come with a surge, even the brownouts tend to flicker the power up and down before it dies.

Could have fried the machine, even with a surge suppressor, which is why we tend to tell people to spend a few more $s and buy a UPS with AVR.

7. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

if the machine is fried, is likely the hard drive is fried?

there was not really anything on the machine that isn't already backed up and the machine was used almost exclusively for internet radio.

thanks

also, do you have a recommendation for ups manufacturer? what's avr? price range? is it good for stereo and plasma tv?

thanks tons!

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hey Jkaz I think you were on the right track, checking the BIOS battery is a good start. It's an old machine it might have drained completely overnight. Pressing the PMU reset button might do the trick (if that MoBo has one), it worked for me when my old G4 had the same problem.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

AVR = automatic voltage regulation

Always is managing the power supply and outputting 120V @ 60 cycles.

The cheap $100 stepped sine wave is good enough for most equipment.

Quite a bit less than the pure sine wave UPS for over $1000.

---

The HD should survive...

---

You'll probably find that the home media equipment, the flat panels are running about 40+% more energy thirsty than the similar size CRT ... so a really big screen and all the equipment are going to suck a lot of watts.

So a $20-30 kill-a-watt meter might be a good purchase before hunting for a UPS for the media center.