Overnight standby battery drain

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sd13, Nov 16, 2017.

1. sd13 macrumors regular

My battery is draining roughly around 8% in 8 hours overnight. Is this normal? I kinda feel my 7+ did much better (around 3-4% in 8 hours standby).

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Every iOS device I’ve ever had only loses 0-1% typically over night. 2% tops.

If it’s losing 8% something must be running. Or it’s somewhere with a weak cellular signal, so it’s straining to find a strong one. That’s the only time my phone drains a lot while in standby. If possible, try turning off cellular for a night and see what happens.

3. PeLaNo macrumors regular

PeLaNo

Yup ☝️ this is normal for iOS devices. But in your case must be something strange. Are you in weak signal area ?

4. sd13 thread starter macrumors regular

Signal is fine in my area. I force closed all the apps and got a little better results, 6% drain in 8 hours standby but still not as good as my previous 7+.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Still not really what I would call normal. How long have you had your device? A lot of indexing and background activity happens on a new device even while all apps are closed.

6. sd13 thread starter macrumors regular

Over a week and set up as new. Not too many apps installed and phone was setup as new Iphone. I’ll try with cellular off.

7. mexxdude macrumors member

Definitely not normal. That’s the first thing I tested when I got my X. 0% drop overnight. I had the battery drain issue with my iPhone 7 last year with 15-20% drain overnight. Apple didn’t want to do anything about it as they argued it is normal. I ended up buying a new phone and it didn’t have the same issue. So my advise to you is to exchange the phone if you are still within the 14 return period.

8. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

That is odd, it was "normal" on my 6+, but after 8 weeks with the 8+, I'll have 100% before bed, I leave it off the charger overnight and I'll wake up to 100%, maybe 99, 98% on some mornings.

And I think that is simply because I was playing an app JUST before I went to bed with the phone reading at 100%

My concern right now..and maybe I'm worrying TOO much - and this doesn't affect our 8+ battery life(?) Not sure. It's these weekly updates we've had so far since iOS was released. We just had 11.1.2 released on all out devices less than 24 hours ago. (Update that really didn't apply to 8+ users, I guess they have to release these on ALL devices though)

Just going by previous updates, it seems to affect battery life, It sure did on on my old 6+. IOS11 alone pretty much made it a battery draining sluggish mess. Was going to keep it as a "wifi device" but I just ended up selling it.

9. royinla14 macrumors 6502

The ultimate test would be to put it in airplane mode or completely turn off. I had an issue with my 7 losing 10-20% over night while phone was off. Apple replaced for me and no issues. Noticed now on my 8 losing about 4% and will try the test again tonight to see if it still drains in airplane mode

10. atton macrumors regular

atton

I'm at 1% drain overnight with the X (~8hrs) airplane mode or not (I only have very few apps allowed with background updates)

11. Simacca macrumors 65816

Simacca

12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I get great battery life and mine drains 10-14% a night.

13. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

The less time people spend monitoring their battery use, the more battery life they'll have for useful stuff.

Yes, this is an overnight thing - so just keep it on charge, no big deal, that's what the protection circuit is for. If needs must, turn the device off completely with a hard reset.

14. tworth23 macrumors regular

Easy fix. PLUG YOUR PHONE INTO A CHARGER OVERNIGHT!

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

That's awful!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2017 ---
    That's a band-aid solution. If it's draining that much over night it's likely also draining any time too fast any time it's on standby. If you're losing a significant amount of power while your phone is just sitting in your pocket, that's not a good thing.

16. orev macrumors 6502

Review what apps you have allowed for Background App Refresh, Always track location, etc... Turn off anything you don't need (or disable completely as part of your testing)

17. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Try draining to 0% and see if it is just a battery re-calibration for the % reader. I wouldn't recommend this very often.

But yeah all my iPhones even in areas of bad reception averaged 1-3% battery percentage lost overnight.

Check the apps. When I got my fitbit I found that all-day sync would make my phone and my fitbit drain like crazy. Turning that off improved phone and fitbit significantly.

18. sd13 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you guys recommend I turn off background app refresh for most? Maybe its my connection to the apple watch?

19. Kent01 macrumors 6502

Disable background app refresh, if you haven't already

20. sd13 thread starter macrumors regular

Obviously, but I leave it draining overnight just to monitor the standby battery life, which I am trying to improve on.

21. Kent01 macrumors 6502

Also, check your battery stats to see what's been using the most battery over the last 24 hours.

22. sd13 thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing out of the ordinary with apps. I force close apps such as facebook and youtube which are heavy on drain.

23. Helmsley macrumors regular

Helmsley

As the nights have started getting colder here in the UK, I have seen a noticeable drop in battery life when my 6s is sat overnight (my room is very cold).

That's with all apps closed and in Airplane Mode.

24. Kent01 macrumors 6502

Background App Refresh will still persist, even if you have closed the apps.

25. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Disable anything that doesn’t NEED background service and also look at System Services that aren’t necessary.