Overreacting or within reason, re: screen replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bill Gates, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The backlighting had become very uneven and poor on my MacBook Pro recently, so I took it in for a screen replacement earlier this month. They replaced the screen, but the replacement unit had very bad backlight-leakage at the bottom of the screen, and asked for another replacement. The genius agreed, and said that he would replace it again, but that not to expect perfect backlighting because it's a pre-LED backlight model and that if the replacement unit had somewhat uneven backlighting, I would have to deal with it. Well I picked up my laptop from the Apple store 2 days ago, and inspected it at the store. The screen looked fine then, although I noticed and still see that the lid no longer closes perfectly; it's warped and therefore raised at the outer edges, although not that badly. However, yesterday I noticed that the screen has 1 stuck pixel. I tried all the techniques including software and massaging the pixel to no avail. At this point I'm wondering if I am within reason to ask for another replacement or if I should just live with it. I notice it every time I use the computer and it's distracting to say the least. To make matters worse, I put a new InvisibleShield on the back of the screen when I brought it home, thinking it had no issues with the LCD itself.

Cliffs:
    Backlighting was uneven, got screen replaced
    Replacement had bad backlighting issues too, replaced again
    2nd replacement has stuck pixel, lid doesn't close perfectly

Edit: Called Apple; they're sending me a pre-paid box to send the computer in, because the trackpad button is now malfunctioning too!

2. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

the backlighting and malfunction issues are valid concerns, if the lid really is lopsided that it shows an obvioous case of warping (in comparison to a normal lid) then that is valid as well. some backlighting issues are really bad so i'd give you credit for the complaints since they don't sound crazy at all.

do you think your current issues keep you from doing work or are they just aesthetic issues? personally if the thing lets me do my work, to hell with the warping if the lid closes fine anyway. my work will turn out the same way in either case and with the amount of time my mbp spends in the booq and inside my messenger bag i am sure the weight and pressure over time will bend the alu chassis straight in no time.

3. Bill Gates thread starter macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

They don't prevent me from doing my work but they are annoyances. I called Apple earlier because as luck would have it, my trackpad button started malfunctioning, and this time it was definitely getting in the way of getting work done, as sometimes after releasing the button, it would act as if I were still holding the button down.