Override FaceTime Wifi Limitation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TitaniumX, Jul 9, 2010.

1. TitaniumX macrumors newbie

Is there a way to do it with an app so that u can do facetime on 3g?

2. jordand321 macrumors member

Not yet but once the iPhone 4 is jailbroken there probably will be.

3. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

When it's jailbroken you can install one of many apps which tricks the phone into thinking it's on WiFi.

Or, you could use a MiFi device.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Someone already tried it tethered to a 3G phone and it looked bad.

5. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I have a hard time with this because when I am on a good HSUPA connection, my 3G is faster than my WiFi. Down and up. I get 5 down, 1.5 up while my WiFi is 4 down, .6 up. Another WiFi I have access to is limited at 1 down, 1 up. Seems like 3G is fundamentally capable of providing full quality FaceTime. Maybe not once the network is loaded down, but the same is true of my DSL if something else is downloading while I try to use it...

Edit: I see you said tethered to a 3G device. I guess there is a difference between other 3G devices and the i4's HSUPA. I still think .6 mbps works though, as that's what my DSL is and FaceTime worked fine on that.

6. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Before AT&T choked the upload speeds with their incompetence, I had a jailbroken iPad 3G with MyWi, and had numerous FaceTime conversations on my iPhone 4 all over the tri-state area. I don't know what everyone else was experiencing, but it looked nearly as clean and fluid as it is over Wi-Fi.

7. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

8. Ipadq macrumors member

Concur. Tested with the new update yesterday, and works fine between my i4 and wifey's.

Also, fring + any sip phone account + google voice account + a little inconvenience of using google voice on safari for outbound calls = unlimited free voip phone calls and text messages to and from any U.S number.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Why do noobs always post questions with a subject line that makes them look like instructions?

OP, fix your title...add a friggin question mark. I want my click back.