Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Is there any way to over ride the camera's decision to not actuate the shutter, when shooting in a very low light situation?

I am shooting a scene in progressively lower lighting, and it just got dark enough where the camera doesn't want to take a shot. I think it is something to do with the camera not being able to set autofocus.

Currently I am shooting in shutter priority mode, with autofocus on.

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Nevermind, I just found the answer to my own question.

I put the lens on manual focus mode, and after doing that I was able to take a shot whenever I wanted.

What I did was turn on the ceiling light, make sure the image was in focus, and then I was good to go after turning the ceiling light back off.
:D

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
If I could give you two bits of advice, get out of shutter priority and get into Aperture priority, far more fun and depth control or better yet manual!

The second when doing low light is probably the most important……use a tripod!

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
The tripod that I have was definitely in use for the photos I was taking. I was using shutter priority because of the incredibly low light that I was using. I thought about using manual mode, but I didn't want to delve into that for this particular photo. Maybe again sometime in the future.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
The tripod that I have was definitely in use for the photos I was taking. I was using shutter priority because of the incredibly low light that I was using. I thought about using manual mode, but I didn't want to delve into that for this particular photo. Maybe again sometime in the future.

May I ask what you gained from using shutter priority mode with a tripod then? Unless you were doing car lights etc:
Big_Brother__s_Watching_by_matt_booth.jpg

If you werent trying to do that, then perhaps you should try Aperture priority to make sure you get the correct depth of field.

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
I was taking a long exposure of 30 seconds so I could pick up the faint glow of tritium, and turn the rest of the scene into something that was acceptable for viewing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.