Overseas and want to update to iOS5 - HELP!

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by gambers, Oct 15, 2011.

1. gambers macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am currently working overseas. 2 months ago, my laptop HDD crashed and I lost my entire itunes and music.

Luckily, I still had the bulk of everything on my iPhone.

So I reloaded my laptop and now I only use itunes to sync apps (I never sync music).

However, now that iOS5 is available, I want to update my iPhone. When I go to update the iPhone, iTunes warns me that I will lose all my music etc and I should only sync it with the machine that contains all of my music.

Well I am overseas and wont be going home for another 6 months!!

Is there any way around this?

Please help and cheers in advance :)

2. heyloo macrumors 6502

I'm sorry to hear that...I know the feeling, I've been there myself as well a couple years back...

For your music, there are 3rd party programs that will allow you to transfer your music onto your computer - you should do this first. Once you've moved the music (that's all your care about now, right?), you should be able to do the iOS5 dance.

That said, it's been a while since I've transferred my music off my iPhone using another program so my knowledge would be limited. You could probably start off with searching on this forum for apps/programs that will allow you to download music off from your iPhone. *There are free ones too, from what I recall.

Good luck!

3. darster Suspended

Download the free program iexplorer for you pc. It will allow you to copy the files you want to your pc and then you can reload to your iPhone after updating. Just remember to put in same directory again.

http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer