Overseas flights and Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lawclerk, Aug 1, 2007.

1. lawclerk macrumors member

I'm going to be flying overseas (10 hour flight) and am curious about plugging in my macbook from my seat. i haven't flown in about 2-3 years, and it's been 6 since my last overseas trip... i see apple sells the airplane magsafe, but how do i know if i can use it on the plane i'm flying on? are the power plugs just a first class / business class thing?

2. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Not always, I fly on AA quite frequently - some of their planes (ie the MD80's and the few Boeing 737s they have) do have power connections in coach. Of course, business and first class all seats have power. I would suggest when you book your ticket(s), look at the seating chart (if available); most will have a little lightning bolt on a seat or the row to show that the row has power.

3. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Little-known fact - at least on Delta aircraft, if you're flying on a 767-400ER, and you sit in the exit row immediately next to the door they use for (dis)embarkation (row 17, I think), there's a standard 120V (US) outlet.

Just make sure you choose the window seat in that row (17A).

4. spjonesi macrumors member

Well, I about grew up on AA, and fly quite frequently with them and I can 100% agree with this. The lightning bolt seat rows are what you need. Though I fly on some others but I can't remember if they do or not (some of these do): British Airways, Iberia, United...I think they do in coach in selected rows and I'm 99% they have them in business/first class.

It will also depend on the aircraft. -GENERALLY- your newer airplanes have been outfitted with power ports in a lot of rows. IE 777 some 767/757's as well as newer 747's (747-400 or better yet the 800) and then the A340's etc. I should stress that this will -all- depend on what airline you are flying. Because each outfits their airplanes totally differently than the next.

HTH
    spjoneSi

5. lawclerk thread starter macrumors member

It's on Lufthansa, and I didn't get to book the flight, my girlfriend "surprised" me with a trip! I just hate to fly... so, i want my mac so I can watch movies.

Thanks for all the replies!

6. Vynce macrumors newbie

7. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

If you are on Lufthansa on an international flight, you are probably on an Airbus 340. Unless you are in business or first, no power. Figure out what plane is used on your route (which you can usually see on the airline's website) and then look at seatguru. But, you are probably SOL. Buy an extra battery.

8. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

9. lawclerk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. i checked seatguru, and it looks like i'm sol for sure.

i'm starting in houston, and ending in frankfurt for the first leg, and italy after that. I don't think my macbook will last 10-11 hours until i can recharge in Frankfurt. And I seriously don't want to plunk down $$$ on a spare battery... but maybe I'll just have to do that.

10. mavherzog macrumors 6502

An added benefit with Lufthansa is that they have wifi available in-flight. I was totally shocked by that. It was VERY cool to be IM'ing my wife on my way to Germany (in route to Iraq).

11. spjonesi macrumors member

IIRC this is $20 per flight, but it is on select a340's...not all of them. But I could be wrong.

joneSi