Overseas Issue

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Marble, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

I was recently accepted to a grad school in Britain and will be heading over next September. I also happen to have recently upgraded from a Titanium Powerbook to an Al iMac 20" with some extra RAM. I love the big screen of the iMac. I'm a writer and it makes all the difference to type on a dedicated keyboard with a display at eye level. I don't know how I managed.

My problem is that I will have to decide whether to get a laptop for my trip overseas or to ship the iMac over. There would be no other reason to get a laptop, since I'm uncomfortable with one in the classroom. I feel the limiting variables here are the chance my computer might be damaged in transit, especially since I no longer have the original packaging, versus the price and relative uselessness of acquiring a Macbook to go. Price is very much an issue because I am already burying myself in loans and am entering a career that has no guarantee of success.

Doubtless Apple will have new, interesting products to consider by September next year, but I was wondering if anyone had a clever way at hand for me to get my iMac to Britain inexpensively. I considered buying an iMac case to carry it on to my flight, for example, but the consensus on these forums seems to be that I would have a problem with the maximum size requirements of whichever airline I use.

Hmmm...!

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

who are you flying with? If you are flying with British (or most others), you can carry a musical instrument on the flight with you. Get a cheap guitar case, stuff it with newspapers, and stick your imac in it and carry it on. Otherwise, have you actually tried to put it in a carry on bag? I think it should fit just from looking at the dimensions.

Size and weight (20-inch)
    * Height: 46.9 cm (18.5 inches)
    * Width: 48.5 cm (19.1 inches)
    * Depth: 18.9 cm (7.4 inches)
    * Weight: 9.1 kg (20 pounds)