Overseas Presence & Apple

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waynesun, Apr 26, 2009.

1. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

Well, I came back from a very short trip to Taiwan last week, and discovered that Macs have gained little, if any traction there. There were mostly Acer and ASUS notebooks everywhere I went, with a cousin of mine even telling me that his reason for staying away from one was because of the 'inferior PowerPC processor'. I was surprised to hear this, seeing how most Taiwanese manufacturers end up winning the contracts to make our Macs (Foxconn, etc). There were no absolutely no retail stores in Taipei (or marketing, save for the few iPhone ads here and there), and the MBPs I came across were often marked up anywhere from $100-$1000.

How are things on the other side of the pond in other countries? If you're international, please chime in.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've seen a total of two iPhones, and I'm aware of two other Mac users at work (out of ~250 staff). I have no idea what the market share figures are like here.

3. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

In the UK the marketshare has grown by a lot.

When I was in Secondary school I was maybe 1 out of 2 Mac users in about 1,500 kids.

In my last year alone there was probably about 10 kids in my year alone.

iPods and iPhones everywhere. (I'd say iPhone is equal to BlackBerry's)

And a lot of MacBooks.

4. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Really? I've seen quite a few iPhones in Auckland. Not nearly as many as you'd see in the US or other places perhaps, but far more than two.

As far as computers, I haven't seen to many other users other than myself and I'm not Kiwi :p. One guy I know who does music recording in south Auckland has a Mac Pro. I've seen a few Macbooks here and there.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm nowhere near Auckland, and a lot of people where I live haven't bought iPhones because they're not compatible with Vodafone 3G (Auckland has a different, compatible, system). I expect a bit more uptake when the XT network launches next month (850 MHz WCDMA).

6. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

Went to london the other day and every second person had an iPhone! :eek:

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'm in Scotland where we have one retail store, which is only so annoying (I know other countries don't have even one) because there's a fair number of stores in England :(

As far as market share - I'm 20 years old in university and know another 3 people with iPhones but spot a couple of iPhones at uni every week. I could find people using macs in the university library pretty easily, but it would still be a very small percentage (one day I was walking past a long row of desks and everyone had a mac, I actually turned and walked back in a "what the hell" moment :eek:). I know 3 other people on my course (about a hundred people) who use macs. I know maybe 10 people overall that use macs.

But I can't actually think of anyone besides my boyfriend (who has serious iPhone lust, so will be coming over to iTunes soon enough) that doesn't have an iPod. I know a few people that started with a Sony walkman etc, but switched to iPods after they broke.

8. MirroRobin macrumors member

I've lived in Taipei for 6 months (came back 2 months ago) and I know at least 3 Apple retail stores over there; near Taipei 101, near Taipei Main Station, and one in Ximen, maybe you know one of those areas. But yeah you're right, Mac presence there is pretty low. I felt really special on campus :) although there were a lot of exchange students that had macs...