Overseas Purchasing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by garry12, Nov 6, 2007.

1. garry12 macrumors newbie

Hi, I wanted to enquire about buying a Mac overseas. I live in Australia and will be purchasing a Macbook Pro in the near future however, as I am only in high school, I need to keep the cost low. I have been looking on Ebay at MBP's in the USA which are very cheap compared to our online store (probably due to the kickass exchange rate which I would like to take advantage of). So my question is, what are the disadvantages of purchasing overseas? I'm concerned about how the warranty will work, if I would have to pay for shipping back to the US to get it repaired, and also about power supplies as we have a different power supply to the US. Also if there were any other differences between an Aust. MBP and a US MPB. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Garrett

2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

This has been covered many, many times before - do a search.

a) same power supply - you'll need to change the plug if AUS and USA are diff.

b) Warranty is worldwide on laptops

c) If you follow the law, you declare at customs anyway.

d) keyboard may be slightly different. I know British and USA keyboards are.

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Ditch the box and carry it with you as if you've had the laptop before, that way you won't be charged for import duties and VAT etc. It will be pricey should you decide to declare and go through the red channel!

And yes, USA is the cheapest place to buy any mac.

4. garry12 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, I wasnt clear enough in my question
    I'm not actually going overseas but I would be getting it shipped over to Australia. Would I still have to pay the tax?

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Just let the sender declare on the export form as "a GIFT", that way you're less likely to be charged for import duties.