Overseas Wi-Fi charges

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MF2436, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MF2436 macrumors newbie

I just returned to Australia from Thailand to find a $300.00 phone bill from Telstra. I had only used my iPhone on local Wi-Fi networks and assumed that no charges would be incurred. Unfortunately that is not the case when using Wi-Fi overseas. Should have bought an iPod Touch instead!

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

well either they made a mistake

or you weren't using wifi as much you thought! I get on the horn with them and dispute it can't hurt.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It wouldn't have been from wifi unless they got your payment. Your iPhone is always using data I imagine, so even just using wifi you could still possibly incur data charges. But who knows, maybe there is a secret charge?

4. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

Impossible. Remember your phone constantly pulls data wirelessly through push notifications, mail, or by opening an application. Probably caused from that rather than blaming it on localized wifi.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Obviously you didnt use just wifi.
    You should have taken your simcard out or disable roaming data in settings.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yup! When the iPhone is locked, WIFI is disabled. If you get any emails or push notifications while your iPhone is locked, you're pulling in data.

It's your own fault for not turning off international data roaming.

7. qawsed macrumors regular

Come on you know your phone company dont charge for using wifi anywhere. In fairness.

8. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

it's really not a fault more then a mistake that probably won't happen again I would try and contact your carrier and see if the can add international roaming and back date it. I had luck with it, never hurts to try all they can say is no and it's a $300 lesson