Oversensitive HD Sudden Motion Sensor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NATO, Oct 31, 2008.

1. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I'm just posting to get a little feedback from other users as to whether my new MBP has an oversensitive sudden motion sensor - I have the stock 250GB 5400RPM hard drive, but I've noticed that if I lift the laptop (it doesn't have to be that sudden a lift), I will hear a 'clunk' where the Hard Drive is located - I'm assuming that the change in acceleration has told it to park the heads. However, it does seem a little sensitive, especially as I'm only lifting it about two feet from where it was sitting onto my lap.

Has anyone else noticed this, or might it be a fault with my particular machine? Also, would changing the HDD fix this problem or is it something that's part of the machine itself?

Thanks for the help.

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

mine also seems very sensitive, any lift off my lap will park the drive
    anyone know of a way to disable or lessen the sensitivity?
    I can't imagine that the constant stopping of the drive is good for it in any way.

3. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

+1

i have the same symptoms with a 7200 320gb disk. Late MBP 2.5.

But I realized that it's not parking the head all the time. Sometime I move it very gently and it doens make that sound, then I move it very fast and it doesn't do the sound anymore.

4. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

The sensor is just an accelerometer which monitors the computers movement. It doesn't have anything to do with the HDD. So if its overly sensitive, it will be a software/firmware issue.

5. rolex54 macrumors 6502

yay for google cache
    i tried the steps for 10.4 and it did the trick, I also tried to re-enable it and that worked also
    you can check the enabled or disabled state in system profiler under hardware tab

6. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

hmm, but we don't want to disable it. Just make it less sensitive.
    Tex

7. NATO thread starter macrumors 68000

NATO

That's interesting, it looks as though it's software-based, which means we might see a fix in due course. At least I know that it's not unique to my machine so that's a relief :p

8. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I've just found this for the SMS calibration