Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I bought the 7+ last year committed to upgrading every year. After all, I'm retired. It's entertaining to fret over why the status hasn't changed to 'Shipped' and follow the flight of my phone, and counting hours to clear customs.

But with the X being 2 months or more out, that's that many months I'll be making more payments on a phone I'm trading in. Then next year, if the schedule is back to September, am I paying extra payments just to early adopt?

I'm feeling a little cheated here. I'm assuming I can buy out my phone if the price point is such that the buyout is less than re-sell. But if I have to pay extra months to early adopt upgrade, I'll be really disappointed.

Of course, I could go to the 8 and wait for Xs.... Hopefully they have a solution for next year.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Apple says you can upgrade every year. But they aren't going to tell you which phone to buy. It's your choice to wait for the iPhone X. And it's your choice to upgrade early next year. Apple has given you all the choices they could give you. There isn't another "solution".

Reactions: Knowimagination

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
You pay for each month you have the phone

Apple should be more considerate of your plans

Reactions: JulesJam

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
But with the X being 2 months or more out, that's that many months I'll be making more payments on a phone I'm trading in. Then next year, if the schedule is back to September, am I paying extra payments just to early adopt?
The AiUP is a rent to own program where you have the option of trading in your current rented phone for a new one after 12 months of payments or continuing to rent it if you aren't ready to get a new phone after 12 months of payments. And if you rent for the full 24 months, you own the phone.

You have the option now of trading in your phone for the iP8/8+ now but if you aren't ready and want to wait for the iPX, you can continue renting your iP7/7+ until the iPX is released.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It doesn’t seem worth it this year. As you’ve pointed out, next year you’ll likely have to wait or pay more to get the new iPhone. Plus, you’ve already paid $600-700 to have the 7+ for 14 months. And there’s a good chance IUP will put you at a disadvantage during the pre-order frenzy. I would just buy the phone outright and sell/trade it in next year when the new iPhone is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.