Overwhelmed by install options

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rien333, Jul 13, 2011.

1. rien333 macrumors regular

First my apologies for creating a thread which may already exist, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options I have. What I basically want is that only my user files (Like Photoshop projects and music) , Developer stuff (XCode, XCode related stuff and my current projects) in /Developer and applications + application data (like preferences, browser history and my Safari Top Sites) will be there on my Lion clean install. I have both a Time Machine backup and a CCC clone on an external HD. So what is the best thing to do? Do a clean install and then copy my files and application support folders (for all the application data) and the Developer folder from my external HD to my internal HD? Or would there occur problems if I would do that? Or can I get the job done with migration assistant?
    I hope I'm clear enough and someone here can give me a straightforward answer to my question(s). :)

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Well you could use the time machine back up and the Migration assistant after an install and only tick the things you want.

Could be wrong here but Carbon Copy Clone a disk image, so you'd only be putting the drive back to exactly how it is at the moment? SO that would be of no use.

Read this article, should help you work out what's best:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides...rt-with-lion-migrating-without-assistance.ars

3. rien333, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

rien333 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response and your help, I think i'll try your suggestion first. If it doesn't work I'll just see what else works out, I can always go back anyway.