Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harry Pujols

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2014
Hey everyone -

So been enjoying my late 2013 MBP 13" retina for awhile now - doing some gaming when I get the chance (Civ 5, Dragon Age 2, Borderlands 2 to name a couple)

Interested in getting into a few other titles either via Steam that I had on my old Windows machine or that I just never got into (but are Windows only eg Fallout 3, Fallout NV)

My dilemma:
Is it worth partitioning, bootcamping and buying Windows 7 ($70-$100) - where I've also heard that Win7 doesn't marry up with some Mac's very well...

or
Trying to figure out this whole Wine/wineskin dealie to see if it might work (knowing that things like GOTY and expansions might be fluky)

or
Getting the xbox360 versions of the games for a song (<$15) and saying the heck with all this mess?

Any thoughts?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I would be inclined to go with the Xbox 360 versions of the Bethesda games. My nephews have showed those off to me on theirs including Elder Scrolls Oblivion, both Fallout games and Skyrim too. They look really nice, run great and have good controls on the Xbox. Why hassle with bootcamp or Wineskin when you have that option already available to you?

Full disclosure here: I personally think Windows is a pain in the rear and not worth the bother. I do like Wineskin for some stuff but it does have a little learning curve, not that bad but you do need to read the instructions so to speak, look up info on a per game basis to see if it is known to work and any special stuff you might need to do to make that happen. I have setup Fallout 3 and Fallout NV with it and they do work but it was a somewhat involved process and if I had an Xbox I would have chosen that route instead.

So yeah, go Xbox for a song and have all the fun with none of the hassle. :D

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
I don't have experience with wineskin (I use bootcamp on my desktop), but given wineskin is going to use more resources than something running natively I wouldn't think a 13" would really be up to the task. I'd agree with harry that you're probably better off buying the xbox versions. Even if you did make a partition and run win 7 off bootcamp I would still recommend using all of the important mods that fix bug and crash issues as well as update the UI and some textures which then gets back to the question of how well a 13" would handle it. Both games are considerably old by now so maybe it wouldn't be that big a deal, I'm not sure, but for Skyrim it certainly would.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
+1 for the Xbox option. I don't think it's worth the hassle of getting them running under Windows when you can pop in a disc and play from the comfort of your couch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.