Overwhelmed...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jake8, Oct 30, 2007.

1. jake8 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I just bought the ipod touch and it looks fantastic! But.. I'm so lost I don't know where to start.

First off, I am getting a signal from wifi to the wireless connection in my house but when i try and use safari it says cannot connect.. same with youtube. Do any of you know the problem?

Also, how do I get pictures onto it? I looked over itunes and there obviously isn't any place for pictures. When I plug it in with my usb cord how do i get pictures on?

More questions to come, it's all overhwhelming yet exciting. :D

2. RazerM macrumors member

In iTunes, click your iPod under "devices", then you will see tabs at the top of the screen (under status area), click Photos.

For WiFi go into settings then wifi and go to your connection by clicking the blue arrow, make sure all settings are correct.

3. jake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean all the settings? IP address and stuff?

How do I find my IP address? and router? what does it mean by router? And client ID?

I'm so confused with this. If it just needs my ip i can get that by going to myipaddress.com or something of the like but what about the rest?

4. RazerM macrumors member

By settings I mean click the icon labeled 'Settings', I don't know how your WiFi is set up, so try ask someone who does.

5. jake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I know. I went to settings and wifi. Is there any clue as to how I can find this stuff? It shows linksys with full bars but it still says "choose a network..." with the little loading spiral above it.

Supposedly I got it working but when i try and use safari i get the message...

"Safari can't open this page. The error was: "operation could not be completed. (POSIX error 12 - cannot allocate memory)" (NSPOSIXerorDomain:12)

6. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I had the same problem when I went back home (my student house connected fine).

Basically, what I had to do was add the iPod touch to the wireless router/modem's access list.

You might have to do the same, sorry, but that is all I know.

I'm glad you like your iPod touch. You might want to consider jailbreaking it, as long as you understand what you're doing. If you're not up for essentially hacking your iPod (however easy it is), that's fair enough. If you're not sure what Jailbreaking is, check out the hacks forum.

7. jake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I add my ipod touch to my access list? I have a linksys router so it has the same 192.168.1.1 as all the other linksys routers. Do you, by chance, know how to add it? I'm at my router's page and really don't know what I should do.

Sorry for my PC illiterate-ness

8. jake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I even have the blue bars up beside iPod in the top left hand corner now and it *still* says "Safari can't open the page because it can't find the server." when i typed in www.google.com i got this message. :/ I even typed in all of my wifi router/ip information.

9. CrockettGTO macrumors regular

10. jake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've read through all of it.

I've gotten alot to semi-work up to this point. Figured out lots.

What kinda movies does the itunes take? mpg? mp4? Some don't seem to be allowed in itunes.

Also, the whole internet thing works, I got the whole wifi thing filled out but it seems it doesn't wanna get thru and actually get me on safari even though the wifi arcs are in the top left corner, it still says "Safari cannot open that page because it can't find the server" as if there are restrictions on the wireless internet at my house. Any things I should have disabled/enabled perhaps on my 192.168.1.1 linksys webpage?

Thanks for all the help, I'm sort of getting the grip of this, just a few more loose ends needing to be tied up. :D

11. MargeSimpson macrumors member

iTunes/Ipod only accepts mp4 format, so you have to convert all vids to that. I use two different programs to convert .avi and .vob files. One is Handbrake and another one i dont remember... :eek: will check when i get home. But they both were recommended on this forum, as well as iLounge. Both are free and easy to use.
    With your wifi, is yours secure? Does it require WEP key input? Make sure you put it in correctly, caps and all.

I second the suggestion to Jailbreak your Touch. It is an altogether different device now!

12. jake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I jailbreak it? Can you give me a link to a way to do it? Is it complicated? As you can tell I am pretty pc illiterate and still can't get the net to work.

There is no password protection on mine, since when I select my network it doesn't ask for a password it just puts a check mark beside it and shows it has a dot and like 2 or 3 arcs. How do I know if I should be using DHCP BootP or Static? Also for router what do I put? I think I may be putting the wrong thing or maybe i should be putting the letters for the name of the router in caps?

13. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Seriously?? DO NOT JAILBREAK your touch, until you have a better grip on using iPod's more basic functions.

You're asking a lot of questions that you won't get good answers to, primarily because we don't know anything about your network. Should you be using DHCP, BootP or Static?? How are we supposed to know?

I'm not a network genius and I got my iPod working on every network I tried, so be patient, take a deep breath, and when asking for help, give the people here as much information as you can. Starting I guess, with your hardware.

Are you using Airport Extreme / Express for your network? Are you on a Mac or PC? What version of Windows / OS X are you running? Is this on a laptop or a tower/iMac?

You said you see a router called "linksys". That's the default name for Lynksys routers. Do you have a Linksys router? I ask because it's entirely possible you're trying to connect to a neighbour's network.

If you are indeed running a Linksys router, it's probably set up to assign local IP addresses to computers on your network as they join, so you can rule out "Static". You probably want to be using "DHCP", but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Also, I don't think you did read the manual that wa sin the box, and linked here for you or you'd at least know how to get pictures on your iPod.

There's also a bunch of great resources at Apple.com/itunes. Watch the guided tour, there's a bunch of tips too.

14. jake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got a linksys router, and it's default name WAS linksys but I changed it and I am picking up my houses router. My router is a linksys WRT54GS(whatever that means? thats what i typed in for "router" under static. )

I'm running windows XP pro 2002 service pack 2.

I am running this on a PC(tower)

Hope this helps

15. hecks macrumors regular

Sounds like this has become more complicated for you than it really needs to be. My suggestion for basic trouble-shooting:

1. Switch off WiFi on your iPod. Reset all your iPod network settings (Settings > General > Reset > Network Settings). Switch off 'Ask to Join Network' in Settings > WiFi.

2. Log in to your router from your PC. Start again with everything open: disable encryption, make sure the router is broadcasting its SSID (whatever name you gave it), disable firewall, disable any MAC address filtering. Don't worry about security for now, this step is only temporary. If you've messed with your router a lot in the recent past, why not reset/reboot it to factory defaults = clean start.

3. Now switch on your iPod WiFi. You should see your router's name appear in the list. Click on it to connect, don't bother with *any* of the other settings, there should be no need to enter details manually with a Linksys router. Just click and connect. Now try browsing with Safari.

4. If that doesn't work ... can't help you. If it does, now start the process of elimination *slowly*: re-enable each of your security features one by one, testing your connection again at each step (don't cut corners). Do it in this order: firewall, MAC filtering, encryption, SSID.

5. If you hit any problems with any of these steps ... at least you'll know what the problem is.

16. jake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I reset the network connections stuff, and enabled all i could see for wireless and stuff that allows wireless connection. still didn't work :/ I'll toy with it a little more but seems like its going back to the shelves of walmart

17. MargeSimpson macrumors member

on your router settings, try and go to Wireless --> Security tab.
    What setting do you use? try disabling Security Mode. Then your network should become completely unsecured (for now).

also under Wireless access chose Allow All.

I've got Linksys WAG54gv2, and i am presuming settings should be similar if not the same.

18. jake8 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so I turned off ALL securities. Selected my router(which is named) and i still couldn't connect. heck this time a wifi signal wasnt even showing in the top left corner. so then i decided to password protect my router. And when i went to select my network and type in the password it said "unable to join the network [insert name here]"

Hope this helps.

19. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

The guy can't figure out how to set up a wi-fi connection and you're suggesting he jail break it? ;)

20. hecks macrumors regular

Firstly, the password you use to connect to your router web interface is *not* the same as the password you enter when making a WiFi connection from the iPod - that is the WEP or WPA key used to encrypt the connection, completely different.

Secondly, if you had indeed disabled all of your wireless security features, the iPod wouldn't have asked you for a password when trying to connect to it. That only pops up when the router has WEP or WPA encryption enabled (and you can see the little padlock icon next to your router name).

So that leaves us with three possibilities:

1. You haven't disabled all of your wireless security features. Make sure especially that the MAC address filtering is definitely disabled. Read your router's manual if you don't know how to do this.

2. You're trying to connect to your neighbour's router after all.

3. Your router is faulty.

21. MargeSimpson macrumors member

also, make sure you SAVE any changes you make on your router. Log out and and then back in to make sure all changes have gone through.

if that doesnt work, try to connect elsewhere, you should be able to find at least some unprotected wi-fi around? i know lots of supposedly open/public hot spots will still give you the kind of 'can't connect to server' grief, but there are some spots out there you should be able to access.

22. richardhunt macrumors regular

The first step to troubleshooting your wireless connection is to try to "ping" the Ipod Touch from your computer. You can see what IP address your ipod touch was assigned by touching the network name in the wireless network list. If you have left default values on your router, the ip address should be something like 192.168.1.X

Then from a computer that is known to be working, open up a shell or command prompt and type ping 192.168.1.X where X is the same value shown on the Ipod Touch. If all is well you will get reply from .... If you get a timeout, the Ipod Touch is not properly registered on your wireless network. If you don't even have an address on your ipod touch, then there's an issue with your router security settings and/or your ipod's wireless configuration.

If you get "reply from ..." then you ipod touch is properly connecte to your wireless network, if you are still unable to use safari, then it's most likely an access-list issue, though linksys doesn't normally enable this by default.