OWA Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sulyman, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Sulyman macrumors newbie

Sulyman

Hello All:

I need some help. My company is very L square. They currently still do not all the iPhone on our exchange server network. We even have to go through our VPN if we want to access our outlook. Currently I have only found 2 option for accessing my corporate email. First, I can use Safari and go to our OWA address. This is very painful. Second, I downloaded OWA from Ollie Kett via the App Store. This app is a worse solution than using Safari. Is anyone aware of a way to setup an email account via iphone mail and access our OWA? Please keep in mind that POP and IMAP are disabled because they do not want the iphone on the network. PLEASE HELP!! Thanks!!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If your IT department doesn't want iPhones on its network, why should anyone help you?

3. Sulyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sulyman

I am not sure how to respond to your reply. I am an avid Apple user and I thought other enthusiast might be in similar situation. I really don't see why my company's narrow minded approach is my fault...............
    :confused:

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's not your fault, but there is also no way around it.

5. Sulyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sulyman

r.j.s,

Are you sure there is no way around it? I read something on the forum about setting up an exchange account on my phone, but using the OWA server address. I did knot have any luck with this, but I thought there might be some more ideas floating around that I had not seen/heard yet. Thanks!!

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The server would still have to support it.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not narrow-minded, except to those that don't know what you're talking about. The iPhone is a complete failure as an enterprise device for companies that have any sort of sensitive information that would be stored on it. In addition, you undoubtedly signed something at some point (probably during in-processing) on which you agreed to abide by all company policies, including IT policy.

Thus, it's in your and your company's best interest to not try and do what you want to do.

8. Sulyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sulyman

Understood. I'll keep searching. Thanks for your input.

9. Sulyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sulyman

If they allow OWA, then it is not going around it. FYI, I'm not asking for complete exchange access, i.e. shared drives and the "sensitive" information you are speaking about. I am asking for email access. But I guess you are just on hear to give your two cents and provide no help to fellow Apple users. Thanks for nothing.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're welcome for the advice on not getting in trouble with your IT department. If you were allowed to do this you could just call them up and ask them how. It's not rocket science.

11. Sulyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sulyman

I have talked to them. IMAP and POP are disabled. I am looking for a program or setup that communicates with OWA. This option is allow. I just need a way to communicate via OWA. The only program in the App store for this is awful. I know that are a lot of creative individuals as well as developers that see a need for this option. Hence the 2007 OWA App in the App Store. It just needs to be improved. I honestly am just looking for help, not a debate. My IT department is aware of my desires and they are working to approve more smart devices for our network, but currently we are limited to RIM devices. Sorry for my rude reply earlier.

12. monderick macrumors member

narrows minded = security.

bypassing your IT dept's security measures is a good way to get fired.

13. Sulyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sulyman

I'm not attempting to bypass my IT's security measures. Please read all the posts. I am looking for advice, that all. I am complete aware of my IT's security. I don't believe anyone else reply has direct knowledge, unless we work for the same company.

14. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

Have them look at Good Technologies. My company is now using this. They would have to get a server or two. The app is awesome, blows away RIM IMHO and turned in my BBY.

15. Sulyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sulyman

Thanks for the advice!! I will look into it, however I am doubtful that they will make another investment at this time considering active sync could manage it if they would allow the iPhone on the VPN.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If you try to do an end run on organizational IT policies, be prepared to be let go.

... at least in my experience.

What about using Safari to log into your Exchange account via OWA? That's what we do.

Note our organization will not allow IMAP or POP access via a dedicated e-mail app such as Outlook. However, OWA access is enabled at the Exchange server and is accessible via a Web Browser (IE, Safari, FireFox, etc.).

17. Sulyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sulyman

Yep, That's what we have too. I can access it through Safari, but it is a little painful. It would be nice to see it in a "Mail" format. I am not having any luck finding an app or configuration that works on the iPhone.......:(

18. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

im in the same boat as you... my work email goes through OWA and i've tried just about every combination of information to set it up on mail, and it simply wont work.

it is definitely server-side. sorry to say.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Okay then. In your case it's determined (set) at the server.

So until your organization changes policy you won't be able to access via an IMAP/POP client.

BTW, I can empathize with you on using the iPhone to access mail via OWA. Tedious at best. I will say that on the iPad, it works well.