OWC 1TB SDD Failed for Third Time

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rbender, Nov 2, 2016.

1. rbender macrumors newbie

Last year I was getting tired of always having to clear up space on my 11" 2012 MacBook Air's 256GB SSD. So in May of last year I spent $530 on a 1TB SSD from Other World Computing. That September the SSD failed and I was sent a replacement. A year later it failed again and I was sent a second replacement. Now that replacement has failed after a little more than a month.

Has anyone else has such a bad experience with OWC? It's hard to believe I would get 3 bad drives in 18 months, but I've always been careful with my laptop. Are they selling drives that aren't fully compatible with the Air? At this point I really want nothing more to do with their SSDs, but I seriously doubt they'll give me a refund. I might see if my credit card's purchase protection can help.

2. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

3. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

In a similar vein, I've had 3 OWC enclosures fail. Two were the Mercury Elites and one was a Mercury Elite dual. These were the older FW400/800 drives and in each case the drives inside eventually became un-mountable. If I pulled the drives, put them in a different enclosure and reformatted them the drive would work fine.

4. asoksevil macrumors 6502

5. rbender thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally heard back from OWC. They're offering another replacement, but said I can't get a refund because it's been over a year since I bought it. I'm going to talk to my credit card company to see if they can help.

In the meantime, does anyone have better contacts at OWC that might be able to help me get my money back? Thanks.

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Won't work with yours, which uses PCIe interface for the SSD. PCIe is far faster than SATA. No SATA SSD will work with yours. Most PCIe SSD won't work either, thanks to Apple's unique form factor. Your best bet for a reliable upgrade is to buy a larger SSD pulled direct from a MBA made between 2013 and 2016.

7. Left4DeadBoy macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

hi I believe its the model; when it was made; that model line which has a conspicuou-s failure; due to a failure of manufacturing . An earlier model I believe wouldnt suffer from it .

8. Brammy macrumors 65816

OWC Makes one that fits in mine.

I'm still waffling between my 2011 15" MBP and the 2014 11" Air. If I do decide to make the Air my primary I'll probably order the 1tb drive.

9. newdeal macrumors 68020

If they are still using sandforce controllers that is the problem. Those controllers are crap. I had the very first SSD that they released, it failed in two weeks. Crashed the system and just gave a folder with a question mark on reboot and was not detectable. The replacement failed in three weeks doing the same thing and I demanded my money back