OWC 240GB or wait for OCZ Vertex 3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Medravi, Mar 9, 2011.

  1. Medravi macrumors newbie

    Jun 26, 2010
    I have a new 2011 macbook pro (2.3 GHz model, 750 gb 5400 rpm drive). I need/plan to get an SSD within the next month. I know the OWC 240 GB is a tried and true drive that works well with reasonable speeds and am also aware that the new Vertex 3 drives will be coming out soon which boast even higher speeds for a similar cost. Furthermore, I know the OCZ vertex 2 drives had some issues with the MB Pros and of course with any new hardware release there will be bugs probably with the vertex 3s. Do you guys think it is better to get the 240 GB OWC now, wait a few months until all the bugs are worked out of the vertex 3s and then sell the 240 gb OWC at that time. Or is it better to just wait for the vertex 3 and get it when it comes out, hoping it will be bug free. Thanks for your opinions...
  2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020


    Jun 19, 2007
    mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
    It really depends on your needs... If you need something now, you need something now. If you can wait, then why not?
  3. skier777 macrumors 6502

    Jul 3, 2010
    By asking this question, you imply that you can wait, so why not... Things are only going to get cheaper and better in the field of SSD's
  4. contractcooker macrumors regular

    Sep 26, 2006
    Unless you absolutely need something now you would be foolish not to wait. The Vertex 3 will be shipping on march 21st if that helps make up your mind. :D
  5. kappaknight macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2009
    Does that include the Pro version as well? I guess it'll be early April before I get it - once I get a read on all the reviews and complaints. =)
  6. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 10, 2007
    You can also wait for the new OWC SSD drive due sometime from now till June :) The performance and reliability might be better than the Vertex 3.
  7. mashsensor macrumors member

    Feb 20, 2011
    I think if you can wait, you should.
    1) OSX Lion comes out in June which supports TRIM
    2) SSD prices will be cheaper by then, especially for previous gen as the new techs surface.
  8. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000


    Feb 9, 2011
    on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    That very good point- I'm gonna wait till lion drops in June
    Then, upgrade to ssd then
  9. adnoh macrumors 6502a


    Nov 14, 2010
  10. Medravi thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 26, 2010
    Yep. Already did. Got the OWC 240 GB and it's great. Probably will wait a few more months until the new sata 3 240 or 480s come out and get one of those, and swap the OWC i have now into the cd bay and put the new one in the sata 3 HD spot. Works well for me. Performance now, since I can't wait, and just gives me an excuse to upgrade later without losing out on the initial investment.
  11. usna92 macrumors member


    Mar 16, 2011
    Broke down already

    I have the 2011 15" MBP. I order the OCZ Vertex II 240GB from Amazon at $379.00 I figure the price point of $1.5ish per GB was pretty good and the price isn't going to drop a whole lot more than that for a while. As always YMMV, but mine arrives tomorrow. Now starts the eternal question of whether or not I replace the optical drive.

  12. Medravi thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 26, 2010
    one of the many good things about an SSD is the noise free operation, which is why I think I'd prefer to put two SSDs in as opposed to putting a regular HDD in the optical bay and having the spinning noise come back again.

Share This Page