OWC 240gb SSD for $430 shipped good price?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peapody, Jan 2, 2011.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Should I even bother buying an SSD now? With the new Intels coming out, I expect there to be some competitive pricing, but OWC produces some of the best SSDs for macs.

I have a 160gb right now but I am itching for more space for my boot camp partition. I don't need it THAT much (I have 160gb Intel X25 g2 right now with 14 gb left with an anemic windows partition that has no space for data or anything else.).

Really not sure about this one!

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Personally, I am waiting on SSD until it becomes more of a standard, rather than a luxury item. The pricing is bound to drop a little here and there, and with a significant drop once the majority of computer begin to equip them as standard. If you need and want SSD now, OWC is as good a place as any to get it though.

3. gsarg macrumors newbie

Where can you get a new one for $430 shipped?

4. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I'm waiting to upgrade also. I'd like to get a 240 gb or so drive but for me $430 is way to much. I'm thinking that soon enough that drive will cost around $300 or so, which will make them more affordable.

But if you have the money of course.......

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

$430 is a great price. Where are you finding it at that price?

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, really, where's this $430 price? OWC's website shows $100 higher than that??

7. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

OWC is a good place to deal with but if its from a forum it will probobly hve no warranty and the warranty is the key thing I had two OWC ssds go bad in the span of a month

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Fair enough. In that instance I'd want to triple check that OWC's warranty coverage would be in effect. I imagine it would be, but any time you buy something from a third party that is a good question to ensure you answer.

Speaking for myself, $430 is still pretty steep if you don't absolutely positively need it and given the known problem with current Sandforce controllers and some MBP's (hibernation issue). Although its being worked on, that doesn't guarantee a fix.