OWC 3g VS 6G

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by berdar, Jun 6, 2012.

1. berdar macrumors newbie

I'm about to pull the trigger on a SSD for my 15" MPB. I know the stats between these two drives, but what difference will i notice?

Thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 6G is almost twice as fast as the 3G. What you'll notice is very subjective. Both are very fast. If you run benchmarks on both drive, yes you'll see the difference, but in real use? I couldn't really tell from moving from a SATA 3G to SATA 6GB SSD (both SandForce based).

That said, if you have a Early 2011 or later machine, get the 6G. If you have an Mid 2010 or earlier MacBook Pro with only SATA 3G, the 6G drive will run at 1.5G speeds. If you already have an SSD and are only look to upgrade, it may not really be worth it.

3. TigerHunter macrumors newbie

I have a similar felling to alphaod because i don't feel 3gis much faster than 6g. I have a Corsair F60(3g) and an OCZ Agility 3 120g(6g). The 6g one is on my PC and the 3g one in on my laptop. When i use these two computers, i don't really think either one is faster than the other, in terms of boot the computers and open files.

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Why get OWC when you can get Samsung 830 256GB for $200?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

+1 OP No reason to pay $50 more for an OWC drive. Nothing really special about them to justify the price premium.