OWC: 4.0GB (2GB+2GB Kit) for MBP 2.4GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gymnut, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/

Has anyone ordered this upgrade kit from OWC for their new MBP's? At $240 it almost seems like a steal compared to the $750 and $600 Apple charges on their online store and online Developer store. I'm also curious as generally how much does OWC pay for Apple ram since the 2GB in the MBP's are 1+1.

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I am sure the 4GB would be fine. RAM is RAM and most people like OWC around here and it is a great price.

Do you mean the trade-in rebate? Looks like they give you $25 per 1GB stick.

3. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I bought the 2GB stick for my computer a couple of weeks ago. It's the same ram (Link). It works great, if I were you I would get the 4GB. You won't regret it. It's not worth trading in your ram at $25. You might need it if you have to send the computer in.

Nuc

4. mags631 Guest

Just bought the 4GB kit -- thanks for the info. Wow, that's like $500 savings (+ if I sell the old RAM) than buying it from Apple. Of course, that savings will be spent on a Dell 24" LCD later this summer.

Happy, happy.

5. Membrain macrumors member

Membrain

swapping ram to send to apple

I thought the ram was a user upgradeable part so it doesn't void the warranty. Is this what you mean when you say needing it to send the computer in?

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

it's user upgradeable but Apple will only service a machine with Apple-certified RAM inside.

7. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

...and what if they decide to send you a refurb? Better stick the original RAM in and let them deal with it!

8. Applenewb macrumors member