OWC 4GB RAM lowered price!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mckyvlle, Nov 30, 2007.

1. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Heads up! OWC is now selling the 4GB RAM upgrade kit for MacBooks (and Pros) for $109, $10 off compared to beginning of this week.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/

I bought mine earlier this week on Monday at $119 + shipping (technically Tuesday in Macao). Still, can't complain, I already got my RAM today instead of having to wait another week ;)

BTW, I'm not affiliated w/ OWC in any way. Just a happy customer!

4gigs of RAM rocks! :D

2. sndcj1 macrumors member

And I bought a single 2 gig chip for 116 about 2 months ago. Should I sue because they unnecessarily dropped their price in a very short time? :cool:

3. Tom J macrumors regular

I've been tracking this. OWC's price on this (4GB RAM kit) has decreased 13 times in four weeks from a high of $167.99 on Nov 1st to $109.00 today. Doesn't appear to be leveling off yet and still may be going down.

4. iLukeisamazing macrumors newbie

Why has the price of RAM decreased so significantly in the past months? I purchased a 512 MB stick from Crucial last winter for something like $40. Now I can get a 1 GB stick from Crucial for $27? What's the dealio?

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

RAM prices have ALWAYS gone down fairly drastically, except for a couple of brief periods (following manufacturing plant fires, etc).

Just nine years ago, RAM was about $45 per MB. 4GB would've cost $720,000.

I remember buying 16KB for $180 (ca. 1981). To get 4GB at those prices is $45,000,000! Or, $11,250 per MB.

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

But why would you ever need to buy that much? Remember, back then, "Nobody will ever need more than 640K of RAM." :D

Prices have dropped severely this year; in January I spend $220 for two 1GB sticks for my iMac; now I can get 4GB for $90. It's a combination of things; we were coming off a very expensive period late last year, when fires and retooling (due to new construction processes) were putting pressure on supply capabilities. So coming off of that, plus the natural price decrease as the market gets more saturated with these types of RAM (e.g., DDR2-667), makes the difference stand out quite noticably.

8. thagomizer macrumors 6502

I can never figure out how these places price their memory. I bought 4GB at 18004memory.com yesterday morning for $94, and by afternoon they had raised the price to $110. This morning, it's down to $94 again:

http://www.18004memory.com/focus.asp?sku=502748

FWIW, this isn't marked as being "Apple spec", but it's the identical product that you get when using their Apple configurator. Hopefully it's a good match.

(I've no relation to this company, just pointing out a good deal).

9. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

60 bucks a stick from your link right now. heh. 120 not good deal :p

10. thagomizer macrumors 6502

They are playing some serious browser games. I checked just now with Camino, and it's $47 per stick... still $94. On a hunch, I tried it with Safari and it's $59 per stick!

I've seen Crucial try this trick before... trying to screw Mac users!? I guess they don't know Camino is a Mac browser.

11. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I'm using Firefox on a Windows XP machine at work at the moment...

12. iLukeisamazing macrumors newbie

Right, but why would they do it that way? Do Mac users purchase more RAM, on the whole, than PC users?

13. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Ok, they don't like Windows users either. :) Firefox on Windows 2000 shows $59. So does IE. Maybe it's because I've logged in already to their store, that it shows the price I paid yesterday?

14. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

mac ram is 'inherently' more expensive.. is why. (although it's really not, mfg's would lead you to believe so)

15. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Ok, even logging in to the store account with IE, I get $59. Only my Camino browser still shows $47.

Seriously, anyone else out there with Camino on a Mac that can verify this? I'm using Camino 1.5.3 on Tiger 10.4.11 and visit this link:

http://www.18004memory.com/focus.asp?sku=502748

Then try it with a different browser. With Camino, I get "Web Price: $47". Any other browser, $59.

16. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

clear your cache in camino? It's 59.99 w/ Opera too.

17. midorix macrumors member

I been tracking the price also since 4GB kit was at $169 (early October).

Now I'm like a day trader looking at the price fairly regulary to see it fall and try to determine when is the right "buy" price:D

I have yet to trigger just because price has been dropping almost every other day.

18. Tom J macrumors regular

Apple, Dell, HP, etc. buy large quantities of memory at contract prices to guarantee a consistant supply. OWC, Newegg, etc. don't have PC manufacturing lines to worry about so they buy memory on the spot market which is driven chiefly by supply and demand... and speculation and competition.

19. Tom J macrumors regular

Same here.

Another interesting thing is that OWC's price changing is impossible to predict. I've seen the price stay the same for as long as six days or change twice within a day. I have not seen it go up at all, just down.

20. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

21. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Mindflux, I left and had exactly the same thought when I returned. I 'reset camino', and now the price is $59.00. So this page was probably cached from yesterday, all this time.

22. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Is there something magical about this OWC RAM that makes it better than 4GB for $90?

23. djanis3 macrumors newbie

I haven't even bought my Mac yet (Christmas) but I've already bought Office for Mac on Black Friday and now I'm looking for a memory upgrade for my soon to be iMac.

I'm wondering if these modules from Frys would also be compatible. I don't want to have to do an online return and know you guys can help. Thanks for all the information here - very educational.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5456279

$65 for 4GB seems almost too good to be true.

24. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

I recall posts in earlier threads warning about pqi RAM. Personally I would not purchase any pqi product - got a faulty mini compact flash 2gb from them some months ago - although they did replace it for me

25. mckyvlle thread starter macrumors 6502a

But unfortunately newegg doesn't ship *outside* of the US, and I'm in Macao right now. :rolleyes:

Besides, I would have thought that RAM prices in the Asia Pacific regions would be dirt cheap with all the semiconductor fabs around, but it isn't! Prices are still going for HKD1000 per 2gb stick, or about USD125 over here.