OWC advice: Electra or Extreme

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphnhelp, Jun 29, 2011.

1. iphnhelp macrumors regular

I'm looking to add an ssd to my MBP. I know it will max out at 3G speed since it's a mid 2009 model. But the 6G 120GB is only $5 more on sale this weekend. I'm thinking $5 more for an extra 5gb and having the 6G speed for the future.

I'm not that up on the latest SSD info so question is: is this a good idea? Is the Electra going to be just as fast in 3G as the Extreme is in 3G?

These are the 2 I'm looking at.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/SSDEX6G120/
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/DDMBSSD115/

Thanks!

2. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I went with an extreme pro 6g over the new electra because of the reworks and latest firmware.

Just a little scary going with a new to market ssd without hearing some real reviews first.

3. RainCityMacFan macrumors 6502a

I bought the Extreme for the five year warranty.

But the Electra is like the Agility 3. It has lower random reads and writes and takes up less power. The first you may not notice but the latter you probably will.

4. iphnhelp thread starter macrumors regular

So the drive itself is a little slower even though it has 6G interface? Then it would be better to go with the 115gb EXTREME even though it's 5 less gb?

5. RainCityMacFan macrumors 6502a

Oh Jesus, sorry. I thought you were talking about the 6G Extreme.... If you are going to compare the Extreme 6G with the Electra, then my post still stands but if not, then forget what I said.

This makes it a lot harder, seeing that you have a 2009 model as well.

Even though the Extreme has a five year warranty. I'd lean towards the Electra for "future proofing" (kind of bull but I don't think I'd buy a new SSD in five years knowing how much these things cost) and because SandForce is bound to update their drivers on their latest controllers more than their old ones, possibly with a Mac updater as well.

If you do want to buy a SATA 3Gbps SSD though, I'd only pick the Intel 320 though. Other than that, the Electra is as they say, 6G priced like 3G and that's a hard deal to pass over.

6. iphnhelp thread starter macrumors regular

I'm now leaning to the Extreme pro (3G... 6G Pro is still too expensive) because after talking to OWC they say that the Extreme is faster with compressed data than the Electra. I will mostly be using this is a OS and apps drive but still I think that with the added risk of the newer tech in the Electra are leading me to the Extreme.

7. kahkityoong macrumors 6502

kahkityoong

I run both a 6G Extreme and 3G Extreme in my 15" MacBook Pro. Both are blazingly fast and I don't really notice difference crunching large photo files in Photoshop going from one drive to the other.

8. imorton macrumors 6502

That's interesting... So are you also saying that in general computer use, you don't notice any real world difference between the 6G and the 3G...?

I guess that it may mean that other than benchmarks, there is no point in upgrading my Vertex2 to a Vertex3 SSD in my 2011 Macbook Pro 13"

Hmmm... interesting... :)

9. auhlixer macrumors regular

I haven't had any luck with my 240gb 6g merc extreme

The firmware failed the day i got it so they fixed it and now it seemed to die :eek:

10. Florida Gator macrumors regular

From what I understand, the Extreme reads incompressible data Twice as fast. In real world terms, what does that have an effect on?