OWC Announces 6Gb/s Blade SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jayhawk11, Sep 15, 2011.

1. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm happy with my speed.

In a couple of years these drives will be 384 and 512GB and that's what I'd like to move to.

3. komoornik macrumors regular

GG for all the people that recently bought SATA2 drives from OWC for the 2011 MBA's, because they wanted speed.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Hopefully if/when I need more space on my Air in 2-3 yrs they'll have a 512GB or 768GB model (for the price of the 240GB today).

5. zzz99 macrumors regular

I am more concern about if we can use the Apple SSD for other desktop/laptop, it is really a waste if I can't use it for other computer...

Is there any adapter in the market that can convert it to regular SATA port?

The price only dropped ~30% since the 1st generation of the SSD...

6. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

While searching about upgrading a MBP to ssd, I found out you can use your old Hard Drive as an external with usb connection (and a case).
    It's probably the same with the ssd. Buy a case, put it in and connect with usb (or maybe, some day, with thunderbolt!)

7. zzz99 macrumors regular

For the regular 2.5" hdd, yes.

But not this special Apple SSD card...

8. jsolares macrumors 6502a

there currently are no cases for the blade ssd's in the air, owc said they were developing one but so far no news :(

scratch that, it seems they were introduced silently (or at least i hadn't noticed XD) http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

9. zzz99 macrumors regular

Oh right, it is there! But... I wish there is an adapter for desktop... it is still a waste to use a 250MB read speed SSD as USB2.0...(since there is no FW on MBA...)

10. jsolares macrumors 6502a

It says it includes special sata adaptor, no idea if it's removable from the enclosure tho. at least it's usb 3.0 for when macs do support it :)

11. zzz99 macrumors regular

Apple will focus on ThunderBolt, I guess... I will forget this upgrade... and save the $ for the next MBA.