OWC bad ram. any advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Keebler, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

hi folks,

So a few months ago, some ram was purchased for me through OWC.

My G5 has been crazily locking up so i took it in after a battery of tests. Rember told me the ram was ok, but the tech told me the 1st test immediately indicated the ram is bad...specifically those 2 sticks. I'm interested to get my machine back b/c i had taken those sticks out during testing and I still had the locking up issue (techie said bad ram can corrupt systems so i'll do a complete wipe and reinstall).

Anyhoo, I have the original receipt and everything so I'll contact them wrt their RMA policy - any other bits of advice needed to ensure this process goes smoothly? Ultimately, I'll probably just sell the 2 replacement sticks and buy different ram (techie said G5 is finicky about what ram it likes).

Cheers,
    keebler

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I was given advice some years ago ... never buy cheap ram. Since then I have always bought my ram from Crucial ... :) .. never had any problems.

IMO the PowerMac G5 / iMac G5 aren't any more fussy than other computers. I think crap ram will affect all computers equally.

3. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

i hear you FJ. My other ram is crucial. was trying to save some cash. wrong move and lesson learned :)

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Return it. OWC guarantees their RAM unconditionally.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seems to me like this is a silly question. Bad RAM, you have a receipt, return it. /shrug.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OWC RAM is inexpensive, but definitely not cheap! They are a quality company and they stand behind everything they sell. Return it and they'll replace it or refund. No worries!

7. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

not at all silly jessica. asking b/c some folks might have had issues returning product to them and since some companies are different with their policies, I was looking for experience related suggestions (ie. anything that might be different)

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

OWC backs up everything. Ram sometimes goes bad. I disagree they
    sell "cheap" ram.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OWC will stand behind their product. Only issue is the buyer is responsible for international shipping and customs costs.

10. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Same here. I've bought from them plenty of times and only had one bad batch. They promptly replaced it, no questions.

11. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Not to be a butt head but why post here if you didnt contact them first? Confused :confused:

12. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

not really being a butthead, but you need to read all the posts as i did answer this same sort of question from Jessica :)

thanks folks.

13. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

It's good that your faulty ram will be replaced but what about the inconvenience of having no computer while you wait .. :(

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Any RAM you buy can be faulty out of the box, or go bad later on. Holding onto the original RAM is a good practice.

15. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Good point...why don't you just use the original ram for the time being?

16. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Very true .... :eek: