OWC Blue Ray drives: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ronni3, Apr 4, 2007.

1. ronni3 macrumors regular

I have been considering buying one of these for insertion into my Mac Pro (Quad), but is it worth it right now? I have a Dell 24" LCD monitor capable of 1900x1200 resolution and I need media capable of running at 1080p. I can no longer cope with 720p or smaller movies, I need higher resolution.

I did read an article regarding a new software called BDJava that will enable video commentary to run within a box while the movie is playing, but that this wouldn't become mandatory until October of this year. Basically, those who purchased a player/drive early may not be able to upgrade to the new firmware if there player/drive is not firmware upgradable.

So what do you all think?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think if you have the disposable income to do that, it's better spent there "other places". :) Beyond that, I wouldn't bother until someone wins the HD video war. Hate to get stuck as an early adopter of dead tech for big bucks.

4. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

If you have the money to do it, go for it. Personally I'm quite content with SD television/movies, so I won't waste my money.

I won't get one until it's included standard in a new Mac... maybe 3-4 years from now?

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i was under the impression you couldnt watch a blueray movie on a computer yet due to the lack of a certain chip (cant remember the name :s)

6. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Is there actually any Mac software for playing Blu-Ray movies? If so, it sounds like a good deal.

Interestingly, the Mac is or will be the ideal platform for playing high-definition movies. Why? Because Windows Vista is specially designed to disallow or downgrade high-definition movies to standard display devices. It is quite literally impossible to watch a high-definition movie in Vista (unless you rip the disk first or something).

7. jesteraver macrumors 6502

I can't wait to see blu-ray drives in Apple's but probably wont happen for the next coupe of years. I read normal DVD's will still be around for the next 3 years.