OWC conversation transcript...is this true?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kaliber35, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Kaliber35 macrumors newbie

Kaliber35

As you read you will see what I was after. Can someone confirm this as being true?

Erick: Do you have an external FW800 that will turn on when connected via wireless? Basically, I want to have it on all the time but have it power down after a period of inactivity. Then, once I request to connect to it wirelessly (via airport), it will turn on. Have I confused you? lol

You are now speaking with Ben Priest of Pre-Sales 8AM-10PM CST.

Ben Priest: hi
    Ben Priest: the ministack V3
    Ben Priest: when it detects power down the fw800 line it would power up
    Ben Priest: what would it connect to

Erick: Hi Ben! I was just looking at that one too! Great! You do understand it will be 100% wireless, right?

Ben Priest: is the question

Erick: I would have it connected to my Airport Extreme at all times. I will connect to it via the Finder

Erick: But Id rather not get on/off the couch to connect/disconnect to it. lol

Ben Priest: the airport extream send power to the hard drives all the time no way for it to spin down a hard drive sorry thats a known issue

Erick: oh, ok.
    Erick: Ok, being this is a known issue I guess I cannot have what Im wanting at this time.
    Erick: Thanks though! Im still going to order another Elite this week.

Ben Priest: ya lots of people hit the apple boards with that issue of drives not spinning down
    Ben Priest: good

Erick: Ill go after the apple boards and whine there...lol
    Erick: thanks....peace!

Ben Priest: night

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes. The APE does not allow the drive to power down. Hopefully that can be something addressed in the next firmware update.

TEG

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You do realize that the your can't use FW800 wirelessly, don't you? Only USB can connect to the Airport Extreme.

Most all drives, including the one he was talking about, will sleep the hard drive after a period of inactivity. However, I don't know if that is the computer or the drive doing that and if it is the computer I am unsure if the Airport Extreme will exhibit the same behavior.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have a MyBook and it spins down, it never powers down, but it'll spin down connected via USB to my AEBS.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Ditto that; my drives spin down too.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Same here. I have 3 drives totaling 1.75TB all spin down when its not in use.

7. Kaliber35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kaliber35

Yes, I know FW800 is not possible. I got confused...

Fine, I guess it's not possible. Maybe they will address this issue in the next update.

Thanks guys...

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Okay let's put it this way, you can connect the ministack to the Airport Express via the USB port and then connect your FW800 drives to the ministack. The drives will be detected and they will function like USB drives, can be shared, and most importantly, they will spin down when needed.

9. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

What? I thought there was no link between the firewire and USB interfaces on the MiniStacks. If there is, this is the first time I have heard of this capability on anything.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

As long as your a ways off from the drives Estimated MTBF you should be good just leaving the disk spinning. Is there a reason you want to spin it down?