owc data doubler alternatives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cpt.N00B, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Cpt.N00B macrumors newbie

A few month ago, I bought the 120 GB OCZ vertex 2 SSD. And replaced the 7200rpm 500 gb stock hard drive with it. I am really happy about the speed, but there is not enough free space available. So i looked up on the internet, and it turns out that I can replace the optical dvd drive with my 500gb internal hard drive by using a adaptor. One of the best is the OWC data doubler, but the think is, I live in Europe. This means that shipping from USA will cost 15 dollars, the country I live in will charge 25% VAT which is another 20 dollars, and on the top of that my country will charge about 35 dollars import fee!! and there is 5 dollar extra on the import fee as well.:eek:

So the 75 USD OWC data doubler will cost me 75+15+20+35+5= 150 USD!!! that is double the original price!:eek:

So I am wondering if there is any high quality alternative to the data doubler, which I can purchase in EUROPE? (If it is in Europe, my country will not charge the import fee so I don't have to pay the unreasonably high 40 dollars import fee):confused:

I do not mind paying slightly high prices, but 2x the original is just ridiculous.:eek:

Thanks in advance

2. Treeman574 macrumors regular

Not sure, check to see if any of your local computer retailers sell similar items. A next byte shop near me sells a similar bracket for about $60 AU.

3. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

eBay ones have worked for me. Works at 3Gbps... check some out and see if any have world wide shipping etc.

4. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

theres maxupgrades,but you may be in the same situation,if you can negotiate with the retailer to down play the "price",you may get it cheaper,ie invoice you for far lkess than what you really pay,or you could make one yourself,with adapters offa internet,its been done btw.hope u work it out mon.