OWC Data Doubler, Dual SSD and Windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kjp, Sep 15, 2011.

1. kjp macrumors member

Hey everyone. Happy Friday eve! I posted this on Apple's official forum, but figured that I may get more answers on MacRumors.

I recently ordered an OWC Data Doubler and second SSD for my 2011 Core i7 MacBook Pro. Already installed is a 256GB Samsung 470 SSD. I will be installing the second SSD, a 96GB Kingston, in the Data Doubler. The 256GB Samsung is for Lion and Lion alone. The 96GB SSD will be used for Window 7.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I remove the SuperDrive, install the Data Doubler and 96GB SSD, and then install Windows 7 on the second SSD via USB flash drive? If so, how would I target the 96GB SSD instead of the 256GB SSD?

2. If the answer to Question 1 is yes, is there a way for me to obtain the BootCamp 4.0 drivers while booted in Windows? Can they be downloaded from somewhere? I've heard the MacBook Pro requires BootCamp drivers to be burned to a DVD and that they cannot be installed on a USB, but if there is a way for it to be done, I would love to know how.

3. If the answer to either Questions 1 or 2 is no, then I'm fairly certain that I'll be forced to keep the SuperDrive installed. As a result, I'll need to remove the 256GB SSD, install the 96GB SSD, install Windows on the 96GB SSD, install the BootCamp Drivers, remove the 96GB SSD, and reinstall the 256GB SSD. This just seems tedious, and I would like to avoid doing this much work if possible.

Any and all help will be appreciated!

-Kyle

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

How to get the configuration you want:
    1. Install Windows onto designated SSD using the default SATA slot and SuperDrive
    2. Install OS X onto designated SSD using the default SATA slot and SuperDrive
    3. Install both SSDs using Data Doubler and keep SuperDrive as a backup

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yep, what he said, windows will refuse to install from a USB peripheral.

4. kjp thread starter macrumors member

I've heard of people using a program called rEFIt to install Windows via USB (aka how people install Windows on a MacBook Air).

----------

That's what I was afraid of. I already have Lion installed on the 256GB SSD. I guess I'll have to remove it, place the 96GB SSD into the default SATA slot, install Windows, then put the 96GB SSD into the Data Doubler and the 256GB SSD back into the default SATA slot.

I was hoping to avoid unscrewing and re-screwing the back plate multiple times.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

The macbook air can already use regular old bootcamp, why would one need rEFIt?

6. kjp thread starter macrumors member

Because the MacBook Air has a different version of BootCamp than the rest of the Mac lineup. The MacBook Air has BootCamp version 4.0.1, which allows you to burn drivers to a USB stick. The MacBook Pro, however, has BootCamp version 4.0, which only allows you to burn the drivers to a DVD.

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

rEFIt is unnecessary. Since the MacBook Pro already has an optical drive, it's irrational to re-transfer the data to a USB drive. It's necessary for MacBook Airs because they don't have this.

Also, who says you have to completely seal the back plate while swapping drives? ;) As long as your computer is set on a flat, stable surface, you probably won't need to put the screws back after swapping.

8. kjp thread starter macrumors member

Good point about the back plate!

Here is another interesting question. The 2011 MacBook Pro has (at least) one SATA III connection. Would it cause problems if I had one SATA III SSD and one SATA II SSD in my computer?

9. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

As long as the SATA-II SSD is in the Optibay slot, then it should be fine.

10. goodtimeshaxor macrumors newbie

I'm having a problem trying to get my dual drive set up properly. The problem is that once I have installed OS X and Windows 7 on the SSD and remove the optical drive, Windows fails to boot.

Do I need to install Windows first?

Here's a link to my post regarding the issue: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13402020

11. toxotis70 macrumors member

toxotis70

i have two disks in my mbp 2011, (sad + old one).
    I also have the dvd in an external usb case.

Can i install win 7 without reopen my mbp?

12. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    sound plan...

only thing i would add would be to make a copy of her win7 using win clone.. incase use SSD bricks it.. at least you would have a clean win7 as back-up