OWC Data Doubler - MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by foulmouthedleon, Apr 19, 2013.

1. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

First off, I have done a search and maybe it wasn't that expansive, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for, so I'll try it this way.

Have a mid 2009 17" MBP with 8 gb RAM. I decided to order the OWC data doubler so I can use my optical bay as a second drive.

I basically want my MBP to be as fast it possibly can be.

I have one SSD and one HDD. Which should I use for the "bootup" drive and, furthermore, is there anything I need to specify things? Like should all of the programs and such be installed on one drive and the programs on the other?

Furthermore, will this noticeably speed up my system or will it just give more storage space and allow one drive to be more of a "startup disc" and the other an "applications disc."

If there is a more detailed, in depth thread on this by all means point me to it!

Thank you

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Use the SSD as a bootup drive and put the applications on it too. Put your large files, like HD movies or iTunes library, on the HDD. Having the SSD as a bootup drive and app drive will noticeably speed up the system; it will start in arouns 10-15 seconds as opposed to around 45, and application will take much shorter to load (instantly for Safari to around 5 seconds for Photoshop or less).

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

If you use the SSD as the boot drive and the drive for storing the applications it will for sure be faster. Much faster.

Use the HDD for file storage only.

4. nlynch77 macrumors member

you can use the two drives as if they were one. just store the larger files on the HDD and put an alias where you think they should be in your user directory.