OWC data doubler on sale for.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Minhthien, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Minhthien macrumors 6502

65 bucks!!! Just ordered one! Optibay is also on sale with code "BF2011" at check out to receive 30% off!

2. jnash macrumors regular

I am about to upgrade to a SSD and put my 740 as my extra drive, however whats the difference between the data doubler or the optibay?

3. happle macrumors 6502a

i managed to find an optibay knock off thats actually built solidly and fits perfect for 20 bucks shipped. **** paying 60+ for a stupid little bracket.

4. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

you should check it out on their website! I read a lot of comments before ordering this. They both suppose to do the same thing.
    I did saw one on amazon which is 20 shipped! but it only can hold 2 screws and it supposed to hold 3! Plus I like how the quality is much better on the OWC vs Optibay or Ebay one!

5. happle macrumors 6502a

no theres a few on amazon. some of them suck. theres one on there that took me a while to find but it has all positive reviews and fits perfect.

the owc one isnt even that good either, its just nice plastic and it only holds the hard drive on 1 side. ok for an ssd but not ideal for holding a 7200 rpm hdd. and certainly not worth 65 bucks.

6. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

you mean this one?http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058AH2US/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

I was gonna order that one but decided to go with the OWC in the end. I will be putting the 5400rpm hdd so it will be find just holding 2 screws!

----------

Thats optibay! Also on sale for 30% off! Code is BF2011

7. Luman macrumors newbie

The thing that concerns me about the Data Doubler, Optibay, and any knock-offs is a) the lack of mounts and b) there's nothing around the drive to stop any EMI and c) heat. I bought this one a few days ago from newmodeus.com, should arrive tomorrow, along with two of these from Powerbookmedic.com that I'll probably end up pulling the tabs off of. Current plan is to buy 2 SSD's and either keep them separate, for TRIM support, or create a software RAID 0 set and just back up everything ;) .

The EMI thing is just a theory at this point, but Apple's put EMI shields on their stock drives in the past (White poly MacBook) and I gotta think they take it into account in current designs; the 2011 MBP's had numerous problems early on and even still, but less so, with the late/Fall 2011 revision.

Check this blog post at OWC regarding SATA III drives in the optical bay if you haven't already. I'm not sure if what I bought will help with the problem, but I'll find out soon enough.

I get weary about the mount points for the Data Doubler & Optibay as well, there's really only two points of contact that are meant for securing the drive; it may seem stable, but I'd rather have four on the floor, so to speak.

There's also the possibility of heat issues with those two; since the drive is sitting there with nothing around it, it may not dissipate heat that well.

Last, the board from Newmode looks a little beefier, like they put some thought into it rather than just a relay for the drive like the D.D./O.B.

All this may go kaput when I get the one from Newmode, it may be no better than the other two, who knows! Oh, and it's cheaper than the DD, but I really wasn't concerned about $30-$40 when I'm modding my laptop like this. My #1 priority was quality.