OWC Data Doubler or External FW800 HDD

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dc52nv, Feb 2, 2015.

1. dc52nv macrumors member

I have a 2010 Mac Mini currently with a Samsung EVO 250GB SSD. I was thinking of getting a DD and install a HGST 7200RPM 1TB HDD to put my home folder in and just have my SSD for OS X and apps. If I go with the DD can I simply leave my SSD where it's at and install my HDD to the DD? Or would I have to install the SSD to the DD? Can I simply move my home folder to the HDD after installation from my SSD or does it require more than that?

I was also thinking of placing my HDD to an OWC FW800 enclosure and moving my home folder to it and daisy chaining that enclosure to another FW800 enclosure for TM backup. Will this setup also work? Anyone know what kind of speed difference I'm looking at between the 2 setups as in transferring files or saving to my HDD?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. dyt1983, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

3. dc52nv thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your feedback. I havent thought about the heat issue having 2 drives in my mini. It makes sense since I'm sure even SSD's get warm over time. I think I will try moving my pictures over to my external FW drive to test it out and see if I like it. If all goes smooth I can always move more stuff to it or just move everything back to my SSD if I don't like it.

Thanks for the daisy chain feedback as well. Would it matter the order I chain them together? I was planning on having my TM drive as the last drive on the chain.

4. dyt1983, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

5. dc52nv thread starter macrumors member

I'm using two OWC Mercury On-The-Go enclosures.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MSTG800U3K/