Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abuleban

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Saudi Arabia
So I'm going to be installing the OWC data doubler kit and putting a 1.5 TB drive in my cMBP optical drive bay.

here's the link to what I'm getting

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/HGST/DDMB5KH1.5/#comp_notes

OWC DIY Upgrade Kit:
OWC Data Doubler, HGST 5400RPM 1.5TB 9.5mm hard drive, and an OWC 5-piece ToolKit.

My laptop is an early 2011 model , and I just noticed some fine print that may apply; can anyone give me some advice, not sure if it's gonna work out

"MacBookPro8,2 | 2.0GHz, 2.2GHz, 2.3GHz (See special notes for details)
MacBookPro8,2 | 2.2GHz, 2.3GHz (See special notes for details)"

"Testing has demonstrated that Apple factory hardware does not reliably support a 6G (6Gb/s) Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive in the optical bay of 2011 MacBook Pros (ModeI ID8,1; 8,2; 8,3). If your OWC Data Doubler bundle comes with a 6G drive, you should ONLY install that drive in the main drive bay and utilize the Data Doubler to re-task your existing drive or install a new 3G SSD or HDD in the optical bay. PRE-2011 models can utilize a 6G drive in the optical bay, but will do so at a reduced 3G (3Gb/s) speed. "

So does this apply to me? What does it mean? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
MacBookPro8,2 is a 2011 MBP so yes it pertains to you. You'll want the fastest drive to be installed in the drive bay and the slower one in the data doubler cage

abuleban

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Saudi Arabia
any reccs on an ssd drive?

Maybe this summer I'll put down on an SSD to go with the 1.5 TB drive, any reccs on the right one to get?

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
Maybe this summer I'll put down on an SSD to go with the 1.5 TB drive, any reccs on the right one to get?

After re-reading the page from the link you provided above, in regards to the spec's on the 1.5 TB HDD you intend to add, note 4 at bottom of page under specs tab states:

"This unit has been firmware updated with HGST authorization to be limited to SATA 2.0 3Gb/s link fully SATA 1.5Gb/s backwards compatible.The 3Gb/s link speed setting ensures reliable operation for use in 2011 MacBook Pro optical bay as well as with other certain systems that do not properly link to 3Gb/s with a 6Gb/s type drive."

This drive should be compatible in the optical bay. If you add a SSD later, make sure that drive(SSD) is installed in the main bay.

Samsung and Crucial SSD's seem to be quite popular and reliable now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.