OWC Data Doubler w/ 2 SSDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kjp, Sep 12, 2011.

1. kjp macrumors member

I recently purchased a 256GB Samsung 470 SSD for my main hard drive. I love it so much that I don't want to partition it to install Windows 7 for gaming (SWTOR and Battlefield 3).

Thus, I started looking into the OWC Data Doubler. Originally, I was planning on moving the Samsung SSD to the Data Doubler and throwing a Momentus XT in the main HDD bay. However, I have so much data that I truly need an external to store everything. As a result, my new plan is to leave the 256GB Samsung SSD in the main HDD bay and install a 96GB Kingston SSD in the Data Doubler.

The Kingston SSD will be used for Windows and Windows alone. It's not as good of an SSD as the Samsung, but I refuse to settle for anything less than an SSD at this point.

Here is my question: what is the best way to install Windows 7 on the Kingston SSD? Should I:

a. Plug the SSD into my friend's desktop PC and install Windows, then transfer the SSD to my computer?

b. Remove the Samsung SSD from my computer, install the Kingston SSD, install Windows, and then move the drive to the Data Doubler?

Are these even viable options? I know I need to leave the SuperDrive installed in order to install Windows 7, but that's about all I know.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

Book your mac off a windows CD and install it......

3. kjp thread starter macrumors member

With both SSDs installed?

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Go with option B - Windows installs drivers that are specific to the computer it's being installed on. That's why you can't just take a hard drive out of one Windows computer and boot to Windows on another one.

However, just partition your SSD for Windows and throw a 1TB drive in the optibay for data. I don't know why you would be against this idea...

5. kjp thread starter macrumors member

Looks like I'm going with option B. I'm not against the idea of throwing a 1TB drive in the Data Doubler, but it's still not enough space for all of my data. I have close to 2TB of data, and I really don't need it all with me at all times.

All of my purchased TV shows are now accessible via iTunes Cloud, and I have approximately 280 movies. Thus, I don't need them on my physical hard drive at all times.

Thanks for your help!

6. altecXP macrumors 65816

There is no reason to move the drives around. Just put them in, and then install windows to what ever drive you want it on. Done.

It can't be any more simple than that.

7. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Windows must be installed from an internal Superdrive, so you do have to move stuff around.

8. altecXP macrumors 65816

No it doesn't. Just need a USB key and ReEFIt

9. kjp thread starter macrumors member

I've read that doesn't work, especially when installing Mac drivers on Windows with Boot Camp 4.0.

10. altecXP macrumors 65816

it works just fine I've done it multiple times the only Apple drivers you need are for the keyboard and the touchpad, the rest should be form the HW makers. Apples included drivers suck.