OWC Data Doubler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uky1976, Sep 10, 2011.

1. uky1976 macrumors newbie

I am looking into the OWC Data Doubler with the SSD 240 Gb. Is there a way to change the default location of such files a documents, music, pictures, movies, etc to the second drive. I am using OSX Lion.

2. Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

I did exactly what you're thinking. I put my 750GB 5200RPM stock drive into the optibay and put my OWC SSD drive in the main bay.

I didn't change where documents go so I'm not sure about that, but in Chrome, I made it put downloads on the HDD along with iTunes having its library there. Has worked out great and my Macbook Pro boots up in about 8 seconds now.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Yes, search for "moving the home folder". That way, apps are on the SSD and personal data is on the HDD. Instead of the data doubler, buy a Nimitz or similar caddy from eBay. It's does the same thing for 1/4 the price.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I do not recommend moving the HDD to the data double bay. The HDD will be better protected in the original bay, due to the rubber bumpers. The SSD will be better in the data doubler bay, as it doesn't have any moving internal components.

To save things in the HDD, just define your Libraries location to the HDD, in iTunes, iPhoto, etc. or as suggested above search for moving the Home Folder.