OWC datadoubler - cannot fix SSD in place :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by azpekt, Sep 6, 2012.

1. azpekt macrumors regular

Hi,

I installed OWC datadoubler with Crucial M4 in it - I cannot screw SSD and OWC frame - seems like holes are moved, and I cannot make screw fit it.

Question:
    - is it ok to leave SSD unscrewed in OWC data doubler? I mean, that it is pretty solidly installed, not moving or shaking or anything?...

Thanks!

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Probably not, sounds like you may run into problems and/or have a few regrets if you decide to do that. Are you sure you have everything properly aligned and such? If so, perhaps your product has faulty measurements or something - if you truly feel that it is a manufacturing defect, try calling the company and see what they have to say about it.

3. azpekt thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I managed to install it correctly. It required me to unscrew screws on the OWC, lift connectors - only after that I was able to secure SSD in place. Then I secured connectors on OWC device.

While I was doing that, I saw that I damaged one of the wires on the module near the edge of laptop (isolation went off - but wire is still connected).

Its the wire, that goes to a middle connector on that module. (see pic)

I checked my laptop - everything seems ok, but what wire have I broke, and is it dangerous?

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Not entirely sure what that corresponds to nor can I even tell where the damage you are speaking of is. I notice you said the middle wire, but it looks like the other two in the photograph.

In any case damaging internals is never good - may not necessarily be "dangerous" but you may notice some things not working. Hopefully someone with more knowledge that myself can comment on what that actually is as I am not to savvy with internals past the serviceable parts.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Those three cables are the antennas for the Wifi card. You'll likely see poorer reception, but there's nothing dangerous about it. Probably not worth fixing unless you really get bad reception after this.

jW

6. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Just to say I had exactly the same problem with the data doubler, we bought 2 and one was worse than the other, they are a fairly shoddily designed IMO...

7. azpekt thread starter macrumors regular

thanks!

and what about the fourth connector? what is it for?

i think i`ll just scotchtape it - since cable is intact, only isolation went off

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I think that's the Bluetooth antenna (the one that winds around further).

jW

9. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Never had any issue with OWC Data Doubler. Much better built than cheap stamped steel versions from Amazon.

10. azpekt thread starter macrumors regular

since I have wifi & bluetooth both working fine, I will just apply isolation to that broken wire - and will live happily after :)

thanks

11. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

I had no problems with mine, used it in two MBPs and with crucial/ocz drives.