OWC Debuts Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock With eSATA, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, and More

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular Mac accessory company OWC today introduced its latest Thunderbolt 3 docking solution, the Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock.

OWC's Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock is targeted at professional users and includes several features not commonly found on other docks such as an eSATA port and CFast and SD card readers. The dock also includes a 10 gigabit Ethernet port, three USB 3.1 ports, a pair of Thunderbolt 3 ports to allow for daisy chaining, and a DisplayPort 1.2 port. There's also a locking power connection to help ensure the dock doesn't come unplugged if it's moved during use.

For pro users who need some of the more specialized features included in the OWC Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock, this might be a good option, as we've been impressed with the company's previous dock offerings. It does, however, only offer 60 watts of charging power, so if you've got a 15-inch MacBook Pro you likely want to use your regular power adapter and not rely on the dock to power your Mac.

The dock also includes a switch to turn off the internal fan if you need a quiet environment, although OWC warns this should only be done for short periods of time to limit the risk of overheating.

The OWC Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock is available as of today and is priced at $328.99.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with OWC. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: OWC Debuts Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock With eSATA, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, and More

Last edited:

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
How does this compare to cal digit t3 plus? I got that recently and it is amazing. No cfast2 slot tho

Zdigital2015

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
How does this compare to cal digit t3 plus? I got that recently and it is amazing. No cfast2 slot tho
Cal-Digit is really my go to right now. I have their original TB1 Dock and a Thunderbolt 3 mini. This is an Akitio rebadged for OWC and I think it’s fine, but the 60w charging isn’t adequate. The 10GbE is nice if you need it. CFast is really edge case for most of us.

BigBoy2018

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2018
For gods sake, the term ‘pro’ is become the go-to for everybody.
Next thing I know I’ll be shopping at Target for bedding and will have to decide between the standard and ‘pro’ sheets.

We’re gonna look back at these days and laugh about the overuse of ‘pro’ just like we laugh about the goofy clothes and hairstyles we wore in the 80’s

poematik13

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2014
Too many compromises just to get that 10Gbe networking and cfast. only 60w power, no USB-C 3.1 gen2, and no DP 1.4 just 1.2.

CalDigit TS3+ is still the king of docks. And it's always 0db because it's passively cooled lol

LarryBaker

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Cal-Digit is really my go to right now. I have their original TB1 Dock and a Thunderbolt 3 mini. This is an Akitio rebadged for OWC and I think it’s fine, but the 60w charging isn’t adequate. The 10GbE is nice if you need it. CFast is really edge case for most of us.
gotta agree. At this price point it needs 85w to support the 15”. I never thought I’d be one that needed 85w, but my previous dell dock couldn’t keep up with me running office apps.. went to the CalDigit TS3, havent had an issue since.

jimthing

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
Yep, OWC bought-out Akitio a year or so ago. This is the same thing that was around then (or very near to it). Bit yawn outside of 10GbE, TBH. I'd stick with CalDigit's TS3+.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
For gods sake, the term ‘pro’ is become the go-to for everybody.
Next thing I know I’ll be shopping at Target for bedding and will have to decide between the standard and ‘pro’ sheets.

We’re gonna look back at these days and laugh about the overuse of ‘pro’ just like we laugh about the goofy clothes and hairstyles we wore in the 80’s
Do you really not understand that the word "professional" actually means something here?

Quu

macrumors 68030
Apr 2, 2007
I've been looking for a dock like this that has 10Gb, Display Port out and Power passthrough. This would tick all my boxes and I do think the price is reasonable however with it only providing 60 watts passthrough it's simply not high enough and alas I cannot purchase it.

They got so much right and then ruined it. Just make it $400 and include 90 watt charging and it's perfect.

chucker23n1

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2014
It does, however, only offer 60 watts of charging power
Baffling. Surely 15-inch MBP users are among the most popular potential customers for this product?

Do you really not understand that the word "professional" actually means something here?
Yeah. Complaining about a pro suffix in a product with 10 GigE and CFast ports is weird.
- - Post merged: - -

They got so much right and then ruined it. Just make it $400 and include 90 watt charging and it's perfect.
Agreed. Given some of the ports, this is a premium niche anyway. It can be a bit more expensive, but it definitely needs more powerful charging.

ikir

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Needs two displays at this price. 60w is a bit low for power passthrough

60w is enough for everythig if you have an eGPU or a thunderbolt dock like this one, you don’t need extra power for all the things you can connect, because all/most are connected to the dock itself.

@Thread
Great product! I would love fanless one any

Last edited:
Reactions: djbuddha

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
TIL CFast is a thing.. neat! Really fast version of compact flash? Huh! I hope it takes off outside of high end cameras!

this being TB3, and thatbeing USB-C compatible(?) I wonder how many of the ports work if you plug this into an iPad Pro?

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Is it possible to build a USB 3.1 Type C Generation 2 (10 Gbps) port splitter or multiplier (or hub-dock) with many (say, 10, for instance) of such ports, as there are for USB 3.0 (5 Gbps)? Likewise for Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gbps). That would be great!

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
I’ve had my Caldigit since launch. I had the older original Thunderbolt 3 dock from OWC. Here are my thoughts:

Build quality, it’s solid.......... except my Thunderbolt 3 in port has always been lose. Like if I move the dock ever so slightly everything disconnects (drives eject, displays turn off etc)... super annoying. I’ve tried 3 different cables- besides that and it’s been ok.

It used to get really hot .... which leads to my next point.

On my 2017 Maxed MBP, if I try to run both of my displays at 4K/60 it works- and it worked well for a few months..... but then at random it would go completely static screen and then when it came back, both displays would be flickering insanely (as if it were refreshing the wrong frames at 60fps).

Now I just use it one display at a time, and it’s been solid. I don’t blame the dock entirely, I’m sure the Radeon 560 in this computer is partly to blame- but the heat from the dock can’t be helping matters. Don’t want to invest in an e-GPU as my rationale would be “just build a hackintosh then” but I digress.

Needs two displays at this price. 60w is a bit low for power passthrough
I’m going to share my experiences with this. I had the same thought process as my old OWC dock was only 60W.

I edit 4K and export and encode H264 almost all day on my MacBook Pro (I bought the 2017 at launch). When I had the old dock, I never saw it go under 100% charged. It was fine for me- and when it was dead from using it on the road or sitting on the couch, it charged to 100% around the same time as my Caldigit. So in my use case, it made literally no difference.

I sold the dock and purchased the Caldigit and sure, it’s 86/87W.... but .... my MacBook Pro battery can’t hold a charge. (Like sometimes the battery icon flashes indicating it can’t even find it.). It’s a 2017. Apple kind of alluded to the idea that you could use this thing as a desktop replacement, negating any real battery management in macOS for those who chose to (slowing down charging- only charging to 80% etc like iOS 13).

Can I say that 60W would have preserved my battery with 100% certainty? No. But constant heat kills batteries from my understanding, and constantly pushing 86/87W didn’t help my battery.

Luckily (if you want to call it that), I have to get the keyboard replaced (B key sticks among other weirdness) and that service is the bottom case from what my Genius Bar friend explained to me..... so new battery incoming :cool:

Only 60w, $330, and it has to have a fan? C'mon man.
I did agree with this sentiment..... but read above- if I could go back in time, I’d stick with a dock that could do 60W with an optional fan if I needed it.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN and ikir

ruka.snow

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
CFast 2.0 when the pro cameras are all moving to CFexpress(which is also compatible with XQD). I guess this is a short term buy, but I’ll wait for something that supports my 2020 workflow.

Edit: The CFast 2.0 is slow at that.

Last edited:

minivini

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
I’d love a straight usb-c version to use with the iPad Pro! Having the CFast reader makes this the perfect companion for a photographer using the current iPad.