OWC Dock 2 running hot and cutting out

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mc deli, Apr 23, 2015.

1. mc deli macrumors newbie

I have had the OWC TB2 Dock a few weeks.

After a couple of hours of use it is quite hot - not the power supply, the unit itself.

And then it starts to cut out. Once it starts to power cycle it becomes very frequent.

I am using Logic X for using long sessions and when the dock power cycles I lose all my USB peripherals and Logic X freezes because the dock's power on triggers Logic's scan for audio devices and Logic X asks me if I want to use the dock's USB Audio Codec.

I am trying to work this out with OWC.

Does anyone else have a hot dock, or unwanted power cycling?

System:
    rMBP 15" 2.2 16GB. 10.10.2. Logic X 10.1.1
    OWC Dock2 (ethernet broadband, VMK76, Xsession pro, Apple ext keyboard/mouse, Macally USB3 hub with iLOK, e-licenser).
    850 EVO 1TB in deltaco housing to MBP USB 3 port
    RME Babyface to MBP USB 3 port
    ASUS 4k monitor via diplay port to MBP TB2 port

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Heat was one of the problems with the first generation docks from just about any vendor. My second generation startech stays relatively cool where the first generation was more of a toaster.

3. mc deli thread starter macrumors newbie

Is heat a likely culprit for the dock power cycling?
    What were the problems relating to heat with other docks?

4. mc deli thread starter macrumors newbie

5. OWC Nick macrumors newbie

Hello mc deli,

Please allow me to apologize for your most recent experience with the OWC TB2 Dock. I would love to ensure that you are getting the best support possible with your product. Can you please contact me at nchorostecki@macsales.com. This will allow me to personally ensure you are assisted. If you would be so kind as to provide me with an order number or email address associated with your purchase.

Thank you very much mc deli and once again I am sorry for the issues you are experiencing.

- OWC Nick

6. mc deli thread starter macrumors newbie

I will do that Nick. Thanks for replying.

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I've heard that they had a tendency to get too hot to touch and many directed an aux fan in the dock's direction to cool things down. I don't think there was any faults, but the heat was alarming. The Startech and the one it was based on ran cooler but still could get quite warm. My current second generation Startech TB2 dock runs much cooler, its also larger.

8. mc deli thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved I think!

Well, it is good news I think.

I switched to a new original Apple thunderbolt cable and I have not had the same problems.

The Apple cable's connectors are much less hot than the OWC cable.

In the system log I no longer have any errors or power cycling from the OWC TB2 Dock.

I have had a couple of unwanted external drive ejects but these have not been drives chained to the OWC Dock. I am three long days into use with the new cable and no power cycline.

Fingers crossed. I am now all smiles about the OWC dock - not so much about the cable though ;)

Also, to be fair, changing cables was prompted by initial conversations with first line OWC support.

I will be back if I learn anything new;)

9. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Thanks for the update, didn't know there was that much variance in TB cables.

10. thebro20 macrumors regular

i have the same dock and use apples TB cable. Mine still gets pretty warm but i wouldn't say its too much and i never have power cycling issues