OWC Electra 6G low speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArmanUV, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ArmanUV, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

ArmanUV macrumors member

So I installed a 120GB OWC Electra 6G in my 2011 15" MBP.Everything has been stable and great so far. One problem: Disk benchmarks show crappy speeds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFAIK, read and write speeds should be in the 400MBps range.
    Is this normal?

2. ArmanUV thread starter macrumors member

I just test the SSD under Windows 7 with Crystal Disk and I got around the same results. Any ideas?

3. Steve Mobs macrumors regular

It's running under SATA I rather than III because you put the SSD where your optical drive was.

4. altecXP macrumors 65816

In that case it should be running SATA2 shouldn't it? SATA2 drives work just fine.

5. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Wrong, theoretical speed of sata I is 1.5 gbs or at most 187.5 MB/s. He is achieving above that speed.

6. Steve Mobs macrumors regular

I thought you could have speeds that hover above and around the max for some reason. I have no idea now.

7. Kuray macrumors regular

Same SSD
    Same computer (2.0 2011)
    Lion
    No TRIM
    Connected to SATA III

430-470 MB speed with test applications

When I duplicate file, lower speed :(

8. ArmanUV thread starter macrumors member

The SSD is in the mainbay not in the optical bay.
    The reported link speed is 6G.
    [​IMG]

Even the 4k read/writes are super low:
    http://cl.ly/2e1N1U2R1z0t0i0k031O

I contacted OWC technical support and after sending them a few benchmarks this is their answer:

I don't what else to do :confused::confused:. considering that OS X is running 100% stable, it seems unlikely to me that the controller is faulty. If it was, shouldn't I be experiencing beachballs and kernel panics? it seems to me that something is throttling the speeds and that something is more likely to be the Sandforce controller rather than MBP's logic board.
    I can't send the MBP to apple with schools opening in a few days. Nevertheless, apple is probabely going to blame the optibay removal and void the warranty.
    What else can I do?

9. ArmanUV thread starter macrumors member

Boy. Talk about good costumer service!

I called Apple support and explained the problem + a noise issue I had with the hinge. The rep offered me a replacement since the 14 day return window hadn't passed. Since I wanted to send this one back after receiving the replacement, the rep told me they need to charge me first and that they will issue a credit after they receive the faulty MBP. I'd financed my order and there was a $5000 limit on the loan. The replacement MBP increased the total to $5130 so the rep waived $150 off the order! She also bumped the shipping to expedited for free. I should receive it by Sep 3rd.
    I just hope the SSD isn't the faulty product here. I'll post here when I find out.

10. ArmanUV thread starter macrumors member

FYI people: the replacement MBP arrived today. Unfortunately, it's behaving the same way with the SSD. I sent an email to OWC to get a replacement.

11. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

That's very cool you got a new MacBook, but hopefully OWC will exchange your drive. Even "Mac Tested" drives can have problems, and hopefully they admit that.

12. RayK macrumors 6502

It's good to hear two great companies are still great with it comes to customer service and support.

13. ArmanUV thread starter macrumors member

Apple costumer service was superb. I still haven't received a respond from OWC though. They made me replace a perfectly good MBP (although it did result in ~$150 saving for me) when their product was actually the faulty piece.