OWC Envoy case for Mercury Aura Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by raftr, Jun 16, 2012.

1. raftr macrumors regular

[​IMG]

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MAU3ENVOY/

They were supposed to come out in April or earlier. OWC waited, waited… now that their Aura Pro blades are outdated hardware, they finally released it.

A bit of a mismatched concept: Old Airs don't have USB3.0, new ones have different blades.

The only possible buyers I see now are people who have spare blades from OWC upgrades to 2010/2011 Airs. But is it worth $50 to make your old 64/128GB blade functional? A 64GB SD card is cheaper and more portable.

2. colour macrumors regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just saw somewhere, I like the idea and the design it works well BUT what is the point of it ? Is it securely attached to the Air ? You still have to carry it around which takes away from the mba experience you may as well have other external solutions which will be cheaper and larger in storage capacity.

3. raftr thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose it is meant for people who upgraded their Airs with the OWC SSD and have no use for the original blade they removed.

I have a 128GB Samsung stick I can't because I have no case for it. Can't sell it either because I'd need to put it back in if I were to use Apple warranty.

Now, with 2012 Airs using a different blade, Envoy premiered just a few days past its best before date.

People who upgraded their SSD might still want to buy this though.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It's handy if you upgrade your Air's SSD. You put your old SSD in the enclosure, which makes transfering your stuff to the new SSD easy and then you have an external drive.

Only works with SSDs from 2010 and 2011 Airs though.