OWC firmware updater

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 7racer, Sep 2, 2011.

1. 7racer macrumors regular

2. 7racer thread starter macrumors regular

ahh

don't follow the instructions on the OWC website. It will recognize the DVD but you need to boot by holding the "C" key down.

However, when I try to apply the update it states the firmware file is damaged.

Anyone getting this to work yet?

3. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

not to hijack your thread, but it's kinda messed up for OWC to act like this is some huge deal native OS X updater. it's just a linux updater, which they are far from the first to introduce...

4. LaazyEye macrumors regular

5. maflynn, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nice,
    I've been waiting for this

Edit:
    Looks like the update failed - I'll need to see why. The firmware showed that it needed to be updated but the flashing failed :( At least my drive wasn't bricked

As per my post I'm not getting any luck. I'll probably contact OWC next week on this

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No they don't. This is nothing but a Linux (Ubuntu) DVD ISO you boot from to run the update, just like many other vendors use.

Other vendors that use a Linux boot disc for updates are having the same problem. They are using Ubuntu for the update and the current version of Ubuntu does not have the Linux drivers to run properly on the SandyBridge chipset like the 2011 Macs use.

Agreed. So after promising a "Mac firmware updater" for a year they give you a Linux boot disc just like many other vendors have had all along. It is nice they are providing this, but let's not pretend it is anything new or extraordinary.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue is that that you need a boot device so the SSD volume will not be locked. Creating a boot device and allowing you to run the firmware updater is no easy task (iPartition does this) but its clearly a lot easier to use linux or even freedos (intel uses this). All things being equal it would have been easier and more platform independent if they did use freedos (no need to exclude 2011 MBPs).

8. 7racer thread starter macrumors regular

Hey Maflynn,

I sent an email to tech support. Hopefully will hear something after the holiday weekend.

I get that same error you get. Maybe, something wrong with the iso?

Keep me posted if you find a way to get this to work!

And Weasel,
    thanks for clarification. What I should have said is that it is nice that OWC has this available without the need to have a bootcamp boot or do this on a windows machine. I wasn't trying to make it seem like it was "anything new or extraordinary". I was just happy that I could update the SSD firmware. So chill.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll update this thread if any make any progress with OWC

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

My comment was not directed at you nor was it intended as a criticism of your post. My comment was directed at OWC who has been telling users for a year they were making a "Mac firmware updater", then they come out with the same Linux boot disk many other vendors have had all along.

11. R3alsp33dy0ne macrumors newbie

I just tried using the windows (bootcamp) updater on my 2011 MBP and although it completed without any errors, the firmware version has not changed. Very strange.

12. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

Hmm what gain we will have by upgrading the firmware? The current one is running fine and I don't want to break anything =D

13. Kuray macrumors regular

OWC Mercury 6G SSD
    Firmware Updater
    September 7, 2011

I'll try to update it 8th of September. 3G SSD's update isn't available for 2011, I wish 6G SSD's update work with 2011

I have 2011 15" 2.05 MBP and 120 GB Electra 6G SSD

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, that's pretty weak. How it could possibly take a supposed Mac-friendly vendor this long to come out with a linux boot disk is absurd. I'm glad I didn't invest in one of their pricey and problematic SSDs.

15. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Have you ensured you have a complete download of the ISO? If you don't have a complete copy of the ISO it's not going to work.

Perhaps try using the Terminal and the "curl" command to download the file.

The OWC updater doesn't require a bootcamp partition (I don't know if the Linux updaters for other brands people speak of are the same in this regard).

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The other brands work the same by creating a boot CD/DVD using Linux or FreeDOS.

17. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

There isn't a new firmware, just a new way of doing it in the future.

18. tarizo41 macrumors newbie

Hello
    I'm trying to update the firmware via bootcamp and the process ends fine, no errors, but the version of firmware does not change. I have a macpro 4.1 What is the matter?
    a greeting

19. xpcker macrumors regular

mmm for firmware updates you need to boot from the cd or dvd, inmy knowledges, trying to update firmware from a running machines is like formatting and reinstalling the os having it started XP

maybe is that

20. tarizo41 macrumors newbie