OWC Hard Drive kits installation?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FireStrings85, Oct 13, 2011.

1. FireStrings85 macrumors newbie

I purchased one of these kits (see link below), my second one actually, and I'm not sure how to proceed in order to remove my current HD using it as an external HD, and then take the new blank HD and put it in my machine. Can I just remove my current one, plug it in the case and be able to use it as an external drive, and access my old files, and then put in the new HD? The first time I used one of these kits was with their (Macsales.com's) universal adapter but that's because I was transferring everything from my Macbook's HD at the time and putting it on to a bigger HD, so that was just a matter of transferring from one HD to another. Any advice for this process, what order to do things in, any additional software needed?

See kit...
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/HM500JIMF8U2/

Most thanks,
    J

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

Easiest way is to install the new drive in the MBP and the old HD in the external case. Then connect the external HD via firewire or USB and bootup while holding down the Option key - choose the external drive - and let it boot up. Then use Disk Utility, /Your HD name/Applications/Utilities to make 1 partition on the new internal disk. Then download Carbon Copy Cloner (Google that) and use it to clone the external drive to the new internal. That will take a while, but it should restore your system to the state it was before the surgery.
    Be careful when you unscrew the back of the MBP, those screws are small!

3. FireStrings85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi davidlv,
    Thanks for the directions. I actually do not want to clone the old HD from the external on to the new one once in the computer. I just want it to essentially be a new computer. I'm planning to sell it, that's why. I've had my MBP for 4 years, and have been wanting to get a new one. Does that change the procedure at all? If I just remove my old HD with out doing anything, and put it in the case can I plug it in to my new Mac and use it as an external HD when I want to grab files?

4. warvanov macrumors 6502a

That's the idea, yes.

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

Doesn't change, up to the "Clone the external to the internal HD". You can just use your original OS X System Install DVD to install a new system to the internal HD, and then Shut down after it boots up asking you to input your information. The new user can do that after you sell it.:cool:

6. FireStrings85 thread starter macrumors newbie