Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacBookPro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
FL
Just received my 750GB OWC kit and after watching a few youtube videos looks like i have to download a App called Carbon Copy to copy everything from the old HD to new HD...

I'm very new to this and wondering the best route to take... The installation looks pretty good just want to make sure i copy the Hard drive correctly

Some people copied the old HD to knew Harddrive before the installation and some people installed the new one first then copied..

Both methods used Carbon Copy..

Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Either method will work fine, but it is less work to install the blank drive first then just copy the old to the new. Just hold the option key at the first boot and point to the old drive to boot from and you can run form it to format the new drive and then copy everything over.

MrMacBookPro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
FL
Either method will work fine, but it is less work to install the blank drive first then just copy the old to the new. Just hold the option key at the first boot and point to the old drive to boot from and you can run form it to format the new drive and then copy everything over.

i went to the Carbon Copy website and tried to download the App but it ask that its recommended to download to hardrive.. How do i do that..

I said yes to download the app but after i closed it it wasn't in my "Applications" folder..

seemed like the window just opened to start copying etc.. IS that right?

MrMacBookPro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
FL
ok just installed my Seagate 750GB HD kit from OWC...

I never did this before and thanks to a great youtube video i guess everything is working as it should...

Less than $100 for this kit...

Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
i went to the Carbon Copy website and tried to download the App but it ask that its recommended to download to hardrive.. How do i do that..

I said yes to download the app but after i closed it it wasn't in my "Applications" folder..

seemed like the window just opened to start copying etc.. IS that right?

OS X has a weird and unintuitive method of installing apps. You have to double click on the DMG file you downloaded and it will open showing the app. Then drag the app from the open DMG into your Applications folder and eject the DMG afterward.

Many apps can be run right from inside the DMG, and it sounds like that is what you did.

Glad it worked out for you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.